Pyramiding?

Gmhutchins

Location (City and/or State)
London
We have two baby Greek tortoises (about 9 months old). One has a very smooth shell while the other is a bit bumpier. The bumpier one also has an extra scute. My question is, do you think it’s bumpier as it’s very early stage pyramiding or is it just bumpier? Photo attached.

PS Any idea how old they need to be before I can tell if their make or female?

Attachments

• 9959EFC4-B35C-4ABF-8111-05FD2FA7CBC8.jpeg
    9959EFC4-B35C-4ABF-8111-05FD2FA7CBC8.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 35

Herman_WA

Washington
Yes, your tort does have some pyramiding. Sadly there is no way to reduce it, but there is a way to stop it from getting worse.
Make sure you are keeping your humidity up in his enclosure. A closed top would be best.
Also make sure to give him regularly soaks in warm water daily.

Your tort is still far too young to tell the gender yet. I believe he has to be around 4 years?

Gmhutchins

London
Yes, your tort does have some pyramiding. Sadly there is no way to reduce it, but there is a way to stop it from getting worse.
Make sure you are keeping your humidity up in his enclosure. A closed top would be best.
Also make sure to give him regularly soaks in warm water daily.

Your tort is still far too young to tell the gender yet. I believe he has to be around 4 years?
Thanks for confirming. Thought so but at least it’s been recognised so soon. I’m going to do the daily bath, and I bought a humidity monitor today. The weird thing is, they both live in the same conditions but only one seems to be affected.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
This tortoise has been pyramiding from day 1 due to conditions that are too dry.

The bigger problem is that tortoises should never be housed in pairs. Invisible bullying happens that causes stress. My guess is that the smoother tortoise hides in a slightly higher humidity area to get away from the other tortoise an thus has less pyramiding. Housing in pairs can end in death of the more submissive tortoise.

Here's a care sheet that talks about humidity and other conditions needed for Greeks.

Gmhutchins

London
Yes we’re aware that being kept in pairs can cause issues with two males, and we’ve been keeping a close eye on them. So far they seem to get on very well and sleep under the same little roof (despite there being more options in their enclosure). If any bullying does occur we’ll deal with it, but thanks for the care sheet. Little Lili is now having daily baths, I have a humidity monitor on the way, etc, so I’m going to make sure it doesn’t get any worse. We bought them when they were 5 months old from a breeder, so hopefully it wasn’t from day one. ?

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
The signs of bullying are not outward, and they do not look like bullying to us.

Sleeping together is actually a sign of bullying. While it looks cute and makes them look like they get along, the dominant tortoise is trying to tell the submissive tortoise to get out of its territory. The submissive tortoise cannot leave because there is no where to go. Another thing to look for is one will have a weaker appetite and hence weigh less. Ultimately, one may fail to thrive due to the stress of being housed with another tortoise, and could die. There are many examples of this happening that have been posted on the forum.

The options are single housing, or three or more, but not pairs.

They need to be housed in separate enclosures.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
You are right, the tortoise in your photo was kept in adequate humidity after hatching. Attached is an image showing when pyramiding started. You can change the course on new growth by providing it with higher humidity.

All of this isn't your fault. You were just given the wrong info.

9959EFC4-B35C-4ABF-8111-05FD2FA7CBC8.jpg

Last edited:

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
Yes we’re aware that being kept in pairs can cause issues with two males, and we’ve been keeping a close eye on them. So far they seem to get on very well and sleep under the same little roof (despite there being more options in their enclosure). If any bullying does occur we’ll deal with it, but thanks for the care sheet. Little Lili is now having daily baths, I have a humidity monitor on the way, etc, so I’m going to make sure it doesn’t get any worse. We bought them when they were 5 months old from a breeder, so hopefully it wasn’t from day one. ?

Sleeping together is evidence of bullying, they dont do that because they like each other. It is a form of mad dogging behaviour.