Pyramiding?

pip wallace

Location (City and/or State)
Evesham UK
My tortoise has a ridge or bump on its shell. Unsure if this is new but worried about pyramiding. Can anyone help? It’s behind her head.8E749ACF-FC2B-4BE3-BD29-CA752F751596.jpeg 821B95D8-7EF7-43C7-97D7-8FEA1A18925A.jpeg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
That is not a "normal" dip that is behind the head. A bit of a deformity, but probably will even out with age.

However, your tortoise is showing the early signs of pyramiding with the deeper grooves developing at the scute seams. Had been growing nicely. Anything changed the past month or two?

pip wallace

Evesham UK
That is not a "normal" dip that is behind the head. A bit of a deformity, but probably will even out with age.

However, your tortoise is showing the early signs of pyramiding with the deeper grooves developing at the scute seams. Had been growing nicely. Anything changed the past month or two?

I’ve had her since 17th February. She was not at the right humidity but is now and I’ve reduced the temperature from 95 to 80-85. I’ve been soaking her daily. The shop I bought her from said 95 and spray enclosure twice a day. She had a basking light which I replaced with a che and added a hygrometer. I feed her twice daily.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Agree with @Markw84 - looks like a crease ran across the front of the carapace during embryonic development. If you look closely you can see It affected not only the first vertebral scute that you are inquiring about but the first costal scutes on either side as well. Also agree given proper care the fold and the pyramiding will be less noticeable. Sounds like you are making some good cultural adjustments. It will take time. Good luck. Pretty tortoise btw.