Plastron pyramiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

j156ghs

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vail Colorado
My Hermann's is a year-old and has a normal well-formed upper shell (as compared to pictures I see of the same species). But does pyramiding also occur on the lower shell? I thought -- and I'm new to this -- that a tortoise's bottom shell was mostly flat with a small body-length ridge or even a groove down the center. (I don't see many pictures of the bottom of tortoises.) My Hermann's bottom shell bulges outward slightly and the center ridge is quite prominent with distinct black lines. All these features are very symmetrical and smooth with no breaks or cracks. But this ridge is such that he almost rests on it when he is not in an elevated position like when walking. Is this normal, like the sort of gangly growth spurts that a teenager experiences, or is this a type of pyramiding? Thanks!

Cathy L

5 Year Member
Central Coast of California
j156ghs said:
My Hermann's is a year-old and has a normal well-formed upper shell (as compared to pictures I see of the same species). But does pyramiding also occur on the lower shell? I thought -- and I'm new to this -- that a tortoise's bottom shell was mostly flat with a small body-length ridge or even a groove down the center. (I don't see many pictures of the bottom of tortoises.) My Hermann's bottom shell bulges outward slightly and the center ridge is quite prominent with distinct black lines. All these features are very symmetrical and smooth with no breaks or cracks. But this ridge is such that he almost rests on it when he is not in an elevated position like when walking. Is this normal, like the sort of gangly growth spurts that a teenager experiences, or is this a type of pyramiding? Thanks!

I have very limited experience and can't help you but thought I'd post a reply in the hopes that this will catch the eye of someone with more experience who can give you advice. People here are usually so good with that!
I would suggest you post a photo so people can see what you are talking about.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I can not recall ever seeing one, could be another issue. A photo would help for sure!

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Photos would help greatly. But it sounds like what you are describing may be typical, if not slight, accelerated growth. But that should also be visible on the carapace if it is prominent on the plastron already. Again, photos would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.