Pyramiding?

tortoisekev

Location (City and/or State)
UK
So I’ve seen this posted a few times around here and would like to get your opinion for Kevin (Hermann specific advice only please!).

Not sure if this is pyramiding or not. He’s 3.5 years old. I’ve had him 4 months so not sure if that’s long enough to have made any changes really. I frequently dampen his substrate and daily spray it. He has baths every other day. He’s given plenty of moist leafy food. Fresh water available. Yes he’s in an open indoor enclosure, but I think I’m keeping moisture and humidity fairly high.

He’s always active, climbing etc (see my other post for some fun videos of that!!)

Anyway, here’s some pics.

IMG_1369.jpg

IMG_1370.jpg

IMG_1380.jpg

IMG_1375.jpg

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
It looks like there was a little Pyramiding occurring in the old growth but at some point it started smoothing out in the new growth IMO. Beautiful tortoise by the way!

tortoisekev

UK
It looks like there was a little Pyramiding occurring in the old growth but at some point it started smoothing out in the new growth IMO. Beautiful tortoise by the way!

Oh that’s good to hear.

I know the local breeder I bought him from kept his guys outdoors most of the year (until it was too cold). I think he hibernates those that can and takes the rest indoors for the winter, but not sure how they’d have been kept exactly (as they were outdoors when we first saw and then later bought him). He had about 40 tortoises, god knows how he manages!

Anyway, I’ll stop worrying too much for now and just continue to keep the humidity up.