Pyramiding shell help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wachow321

5 Year Member
I have a Russian tortoise with a pyramiding shell I need help on how I can help him and stop it asap. I got him from a friend who pretty much only fed him romaine lettuce and wasn't in a very good habitat. I want to help him as much as I can but need more help please give advice and tell me how bad it is.

Attachments

• 1375483516454.jpg
    1375483516454.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 1375483533102.jpg
    1375483533102.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 116
  • 1375483541034.jpg
    1375483541034.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 112

Wachow321

5 Year Member
Are you sure and how bad is the pyramiding

Sent from my SPH-L720 using TortForum mobile app

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Yes its a sulcata, and the pyramiding is substantial, but don't worry about it. It indicates that this tortoise was raised too dry, but you'll do better now. You can't make the old growth disappear, but the new growth can start to improve.

Click the links in my signature for lots of sulcata info.

Wachow321

5 Year Member
How bad is substantial can it go away and what do I do about dryness

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
No it will not go away . Go to the sulcata part of them forum and read Toms care sheets . And he will be just fine . You do know how big this tortoise is going to get . 150/200 lbs on the larger side 80/100 lbs on the smaller side.
They can dig holes ten foot down in the ground more long ways . So I would do some research. But not trying to scare you just letting you know.
Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

Wachow321

5 Year Member
I know they can get very big now I just got some timothy hay and non phosphorus calcium powder and a cuddle bone and some grassland tortoise food. I am thinking about building a enclosure with my dad(I'm 15)

I am going to build a 24 by 40 inch in closure is that big enough

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No...that's not even big enough for a little Russian tortoise. Your sulcata tortoise is now big enough and old enough to live outside. You need to make him a LARGE outdoor pen that is escape-proof. Something on the order of 16' x 32', or even bigger. If your back yard fence is solid and the gates are safe, you might even allow the tortoise the run of the yard.

Oh, and I forgot to say, "Welcome to the Forum!!"

Wachow321

5 Year Member
He's not that big he's only 7 inches long

If I put him out in the morning and take him in at night the 3 by 2is still to small

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's plenty big enough to live outside. I have some Texas tortoises that are in the 6 or 7" length and they have been living outside for years. 7" is way big enough to live outside. Just take a look at some of Tom's pictures. He has sulcatas smaller than yours that live outside.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I have a 7 inch sulcata that lives in a greenhouse I builds that is 24 feet by five feet wide and it has worked very well for me! Continue to do your research and get your little one the needs it should have. I'm happy you found the forum to help you!

Wachow321

5 Year Member
I am going to post some pics his skin looks rather dry. I have an area on side of my house that is quite shadey because of all of the trees would that be ok to keep him on the side at night and he could go out during the day.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
if you want a Russian and don't have the space for a sulcata... then consider re homing him now.. your friend was wrong.. not a Russian...

Wachow321

5 Year Member
I am going to take good care of him i just need some help getting started out. I know that they get very big and are a big responsibility. Can someone give my some pictures of their outdoor habitats.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-38788.html

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-28662.html

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-50846.html

You asked for some help. Here it is. Please click and read each of these. They will give you ideas that you can adapt to your situation. Where are you? If your climate will allow it, about the best thing you can do is let him, or help him, dig a burrow and live in it during the warmer months each year. Then use the night box design for the colder months. My box in the above link is 4x8', but for a single one 4x4' would be adequate, and it will save you some money on lumber. Soaking him a few times a week would not be a bad idea either, given his prior care.

Wachow321

5 Year Member
Will the pyramiding shell become less noticeable once she gets older

Thanks again for all of the help and support from everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.