Pyramiding: At what age can we let RF tortoises live outdoors "full time".

Axelay2003

Hello,

I live in Florida and most of the time the humidity is high.

At what age will baby RFs stop pyramiding so that they can be placed outside to live(as opposed to being in a closed chamber for life).

Is there research that someone can point to?

Thanks!

Gerald

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome. I'm in southeast Florida
IF (and it's a huge if) there are no predators, they can hatch outside and live outside right away.
I've had two do just that.
Are you building an enclosure in a predator proof area? Raccoons, dogs, large birds....
Or can you make a predator proof enclosure?
This is not a one size fits all question.
So. The answer isn't so simple

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello,

I live in Florida and most of the time the humidity is high.

At what age will baby RFs stop pyramiding so that they can be placed outside to live(as opposed to being in a closed chamber for life).

Is there research that someone can point to?

Thanks!

Gerald
The only research to be pointed to is us.

Pyramiding can happen anytime the tortoise is growing, but in your climate, this shouldn't be much of a concern. Someone with more experience raising RFs in a humid climate should give you a more specific answer, but I don't think I'd be worried about a RF pyramiding outdoors in FL after 4-5 inches.

I like to have a transitional period. Once they are decent size, I like to leave tortoises outside most of each day, weather permitting, and still bring them in at night. The best of both worlds for a while.

Axelay2003

Welcome. I'm in southeast Florida
IF (and it's a huge if) there are no predators, they can hatch outside and live outside right away.
I've had two do just that.
Are you building an enclosure in a predator proof area? Raccoons, dogs, large birds....
Or can you make a predator proof enclosure?
This is not a one size fits all question.
So. The answer isn't so simple

I do have a large enclosure at the office. I haven’t seen birds go into the enclosure, but I did see a cat get inside a couple of years ago. After that, I placed a plastic chicken “wire” to keep the cat out. It’s working thus far.

Attachments

• B09CD605-EF32-450D-BC7F-A3025B42D6EC.jpeg
    B09CD605-EF32-450D-BC7F-A3025B42D6EC.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13

Axelay2003

The only research to be pointed to is us.

Pyramiding can happen anytime the tortoise is growing, but in your climate, this shouldn't be much of a concern. Someone with more experience raising RFs in a humid climate should give you a more specific answer, but I don't think I'd be worried about a RF pyramiding outdoors in FL after 4-5 inches.

I like to have a transitional period. Once they are decent size, I like to leave tortoises outside most of each day, weather permitting, and still bring them in at night. The best of both worlds for a while.

When you say decent size, do you mean 4-5 inches?
How long would the transitional period be? 1-2 years?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When you say decent size, do you mean 4-5 inches?
How long would the transitional period be? 1-2 years?
There is no set numbers for this. At 4-5 inches, I'd feel pretty good about it. Transition time would depend on growth rate. At some point I would decide they were too big for their indoor enclosure and move them outside full time.

Robber

10 Year Member!
MO, USA
I'm not in Florida(Missouri), but I can tell you my redfoot that I raised from a few months old was kept outside here since she was 5 inches or so provided night lows were over 60(usually June through September or so around here). She has virtually no pyramiding. It is fairly humid here and they have a sprinkler and lots of plants in their enclosure, so unless you have it in a very open, dry area without enough cover, I don't think you would have any trouble..