Closed Chamber questions...

rafael lopez

im wondering if a baby sulcata can be in a 2x3x6 ft closed chamber or is it to big for a baby? what would i need to heat a chamber that size, a single CHE and flood lights or more?
and at what age or size is good for a sulcata to be outdoors most of the time and not having risk of pyramiding because of the lessened humidity?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
im wondering if a baby sulcata can be in a 2x3x6 ft closed chamber or is it to big for a baby? what would i need to heat a chamber that size, a single CHE and flood lights or more?
and at what age or size is good for a sulcata to be outdoors most of the time and not having risk of pyramiding because of the lessened humidity?
I use 3 x 6 closed chambers 2' high for baby sulcatas. I think it is a good size for one up to about 6" or so, especially if it is getting outside time, weather permitting. Mine are fully insulated and are in a second garage I have - so in an area that is about 60f this time of year. I have no problem heating it with a single 100 watt CHE on thermostat, and single 65 watt incandescent flood for basking. I also use a T5 HO tube fluorescent for UVB.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It does depend on where you live and where you are housing the enclosure as to how many Che's you will need.
I house a leapard in my basement in a 4x4 greenhouse here in Chicago, but for now he gets half of it, so he's using 2x4 of it. I have a flourescent UVB, a regular 60 watt light bulb and 2 Che's. The che's are on a thermastat.