5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nottinghamshire, UK
Have you ever heard the expression:
''I before E accept after C''

Well....
Why does that not work for the word:
''Science''

Like to hear what you think, or if you can think of any more words.

xxx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
i before e except after c
or when sounded like a
as in neighbour and weigh

i before e except after c
unless you're being weird

in ei and ie
when sounded as e
put i before e
except after c

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
I think all these rules are created to confuse children (and adults).

Science is exception to the rule because the 'i before e' rule only applies to digraphs. They forget to tell kids this part. (Once again - a conspiracy to spread mass confusion... LOL). A digraph is a single sound (phenome) created using two vowels. For example, in the word, "field", there are 2 vowels, 'i' and 'e'; however, there is only one sound. Other examples of digraphs include believe, and deceit.

Words like "science" and "deity," are not digraphs because the two vowels, 'e' and 'i' are prounounced separately. As a result, 'science' is not goverened by the 'i before e' rule.

Of course, using spell check is much easier than trying to keep track of all these silly rules. :)

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
Haha, weird indeed!;)

Actually, that adage is proof that in the English language, there is always an exception to the rule! As a teacher, I tell my students that English is considered the hardest language to read, speak or spell, because there are so many exceptions to grammar, syntax and spelling. Also, we use so many idioms! How difficult it is to explain to someone learning our language about hanging in there, not losing your head, keeping your cool, taking a break, etc, etc, etc. Only Mandarin Chinese is considered tougher to learn.:p

English's origins are Anglo, Saxon, Danish, Celtic, Norman French and German, hence our many odd spellings and pronunciatons. Another "rule" elementary school kids learn is "when two vowels go awalking the first one does the talking, and the second one says, Well shut my mouth!" So for words like soap, and bean, and four, that works fine. Then there are words like said, break, and piece.;)

My all-time favorite, though, is the combination of "OUGH". How is it pronounced? Maybe like though? What about thought? And through? And cough? And tough? So I tell the kids, you just have to laugh, and keep a dictionary close at hand!:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I before E except after C and when sounding like a as in neighbor and weight
Don't ask me about science I think it might be a conspiracy from the reverse vampires.

alfiethetortoise

10 Year Member!
England
Yvonne- i liked your reply!

I have taught 5 and 6 years olds this rule, and (slapped wrists if you like) it does much more harm than good. And if the chlidren were bright they understood about the 'a' sound rule. :) Of course, there are allways exceptions, but children should also learn that nothing is ever black and white in real life.... now there is a moral lesson and a half for a literacy hour!

Status
Not open for further replies.