Puck hasn't eaten much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckles🐢

5 Year Member
I recently switched him into a new enclosure and the food I give him he now Eats but only like 3 bites. I feed him mainly kale sometimes romaine which I don't have anymore and some carrots. I feed him once in the morning and once before bed.hes been lazy lately but hasn't shown any weird signs besides being lazy (which sounds like a tortoise to me) and the eating.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California

Puckles🐢

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I would suggest offering additional variety in the diet, kale is high in oxalates and romaine is yummy and a good hydrating food...but these two items should not be the only items offered....perhaps one week when you get the tort food ---you choose one type of food, then a different type of food the next week and so on ....

http://www.ugacfs.org/producesafety/Pages/Steps/LeafyGreenTypes.html

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/seasonalcooking/farmtotable/visualguidesaladgreens

:D

I can try but kale is freshly grown in my garden so it's easier to collect and romaine has a lot of protein but I can try. I'm thinking of growing dandelions :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Nutrients in
Kale
1.00 cup cooked (130.00 grams)
Nutrient%Daily Value

vitamin K1327.6%

vitamin A354.1%

vitamin C88.8%

manganese27%

fiber10.4%

copper10%

tryptophan9.3%

calcium9.3%

vitamin B69%

potassium8.4%

iron6.5%

magnesium5.8%

vitamin E5.5%

omega-3 fats5.4%

vitamin B25.2%

protein4.9%

vitamin B14.6%

folate4.2%

phosphorus3.6%

vitamin B33.2%

Calories (36)2%

Romaine lettuce
Romaine or cos lettuce is a variety of Greek Lettuce which grows in a tall head of sturdy leaves with a firm rib down the center. Unlike most lettuces, it is tolerant of heat. Wikipedia
Nutrition Facts
Lettuce, romaine
Amount Per 1 NLEA serving (85 g)
Calories 15
% Daily Value*
Total fat 0.3 g 0%
Saturated fat 0 g 0%
Polyunsaturated fat 0.1 g
Monounsaturated fat 0 g
Cholesterol 0 mg 0%
Sodium 7 mg 0%
Potassium 210 mg 6%
Total Carbohydrate 2.8 g 0%
Dietary fiber 1.8 g 7%
Sugar 1 g
Protein 1 g 2%
Vitamin A 148%
Vitamin C 5%
Calcium 2%
Iron 4%
Vitamin B-6 5%
Vitamin B-12 0%
Magnesium 3%

Romaine actually is not a first choice for protein, however, why would you want a high level of protein? :D

Puckles🐢

5 Year Member
ascott said:
I would suggest offering additional variety in the diet, kale is high in oxalates and romaine is yummy and a good hydrating food...but these two items should not be the only items offered....perhaps one week when you get the tort food ---you choose one type of food, then a different type of food the next week and so on ....

http://www.ugacfs.org/producesafety/Pages/Steps/LeafyGreenTypes.html

http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/seasonalcooking/farmtotable/visualguidesaladgreens

:D

And is this normal behavior?

Puckles🐢

5 Year Member
ascott said:
And is this normal behavior?

Is feeding a variety normal behavior? Yes, absolutely. Free grazing is even a better behavior.....;)

He still isn't eating much? This is so weird to me. He used to eat all his greens and would leave a few peices behind. Now ever since he moved enclosures he just hangs in his hide, then comes out to lay under the UVB lamp, then goes back in his hide, the food being untouched. :(

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
He is in a new enclosure and suddenly he doesn't know if he trusts it or you any more.

You need to go back to basics so that he understands the routine and starts to feel safe again.

Soak him first thing in the morning befire he has warmed up properly.
Feed him straight after and then walk away and leave him to explore.
Don't stand over him watching and worrying.

As long as the temperatures are right, the soaks will keep him hydrated and he will get brave in your absence and start to explore and eat again.

Status
Not open for further replies.