My tortoise hasn't pooped!

ForTortel

5 Year Member
Hey guys, I have a 3 inch sulcata tortoise that hasn't pooped in a week. I'm really worried. He was sick about a week ago from some respiratory infection and almost died because he was super unresponsive and i had to take him in. (yes it was partly my negligence for not feeding him the right diet but I'm doing research right now to give him the diet he needs) The vet gave him antibiotics and had to tubefeed him some nutrients such as calcium. After a day of hospitalization he was up happy, active and moving round about. I've been keeping a close eye on him and thats when I realized he hasn't pooped yet. He hasn't pooped since the day he got really sick and I took him out to the vet.

I'm not sure if its the side effects of the antibiotics, but i gave him pumpkin in a can that looks like this. I'm not sure if its the right one, he took a couple bites and he doesn't seem eager to eat it.
http://www.fastmetabolismdiet.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Libbys-pumpkin1.jpg

I need help in helping this guy poo, he is going to see the vet tomorrow and I hope he isn't impacted or anything. He is very active and I've been soaking him about 3 times a day now hoping he would poop.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
First off, have you read Toms threads below in my post for raising a sulcata? If not do so. Also, are you sure he is not eating his poop? Yes, they will do that. Also, when you soak him, put him in a large container or a cleaned tub, so he has a lot of room to walk around. Sometimes the movement, get things moving. Good luck, hope all is well with him and it's nothing.

ForTortel

5 Year Member
wellington said:
First off, have you read Toms threads below in my post for raising a sulcata? If not do so. Also, are you sure he is not eating his poop? Yes, they will do that. Also, when you soak him, put him in a large container or a cleaned tub, so he has a lot of room to walk around. Sometimes the movement, get things moving. Good luck, hope all is well with him and it's nothing.

Yea I've read most of Tom's articles they are very helpful and perfectly on point. my tortoise is about 13-14 months old and and lacked calcium which is the problem. I have made accomodations for him with lighting, humidity, but he never could eat grass because I have st Augustine grass. I have begun growing Bermuda grass for him to graze on in the future for his diet since he is no longer a hatchling.

As for pooing, I kept a close eye on him and I don't see any poo stains anywhere which I'm concerned about. I do hope he is pooping and I don't see any but I don't think thats the case.