Proud new owner of 2 Russians

Status
Not open for further replies.

testtudude

5 Year Member
I am a first time tortoise owner and have a few questions if anybody could help? I have two female Russians in a 2'x 4'x1' tub. Half with rocks and a Zoomed 100w light ( 95 deg.F) and the other half 6" of 50/50 sand coconut coir ( 70 deg.F ) with some hides to dig into. I am feeding daily a mix of dandelions, plantains, violets and pretty much any wild edible I can find all fortified with Zoomed Reptivite. Also, treats of tort pellets and red pepper. They also always have water and are soaked once a week. Dose all this sound ok so far?? Lol One of the torts Tessi is very active spending her days eating, sunning, digging in the rocks and sand and moving things with great feats of strength. The other tort Torti only comes out of her hole or hide to eat a little and sun very rarely ( hour or so a day if at all). She also seems to prefer being out when nobody else is around. This concerns me. Is she ok? She poops, eats a little and looks clear and alert. Also both torts get along well, are very civil at the food bowl and even prefer to sleep together. If u experts can tell me how I'm doin so far and tell me if my concerns are valid Torti, Tessi and I would b very appreciative. Thanks!! :)

Attachments

• image-2204925896.png
    image-2204925896.png
    281.8 KB · Views: 52
  • image-3280306852.png
    image-3280306852.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 50

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
Hi! Have you been monitoring weight or growth at all? The one that seems to be hiding more could potentially be being bullied. Not in a physical aggressive way perhaps but in subtle ways of who's dominant and gets the basking spot and food.

Your substrate, diet, etc sound great! :)

DrewsLife727

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Diego, CA
I agree. Check for bullying. Russians are know to do that to each other. Physical or mental

-Drew

testtudude

5 Year Member
Thanks for the quick responses!! I have been watching them interact together and it seems like Torti (more reclusive tort) has no problem getting the prime basking or feeding spots when she is out. Infact, in the two arguments I have seen (head bobbing and grunting and a little pushing) Tessi has submitted and Torti has moved right in.

testtudude

5 Year Member
Oh! And I have not been monitoring there weight. Had them for a month and I know I need to. A scale is my next investment for them. Any recommendations on a weighing method??

pdrobber

10 Year Member!
I have a digital food scale that measures up to 11lbs. I put a small plastic tub on it, zero the scale, and add a tortoise.

testtudude

5 Year Member
pdrobber said:
Hi! Have you been monitoring weight or growth at all? The one that seems to be hiding more could potentially be being bullied. Not in a physical aggressive way perhaps but in subtle ways of who's dominant and gets the basking spot and food.

Your substrate, diet, etc sound great! :)

Update on the bullying: watching my torts this morning. Tessi (active tort) was out waiting to b fed as usual and ate her share ,then went to bask. An hour later Torti (reclusive tort) woke up, pushed Tessi out of the prime spot and basked, untill she saw Tessi had gone back to the food. She then worked her way to the food and is now eating. If anything Torti may b more pushy when she is active, but they seem to interact fine together. Often they find each other and sleep as close as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.