Russians

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Well as of today l have had my two Russians , Rosie and Herbert for a week. Rosie has done very well. She eats everything! When I got her, she weighed 351 grams. Today she is 374 grams. She is very active. Herbert ,on the other hand, eats much less, hides a lot and is not very active. He weighed 458 grams when I got him. Now his weight is 475 grams. So, I guess he is doing ok. Still gained weight. Maybe he just has not settled in as good yet. They were together at the pet store but I separated them. The Marzuri I ordered should be in tomorrow. Maybe he will eat some of that.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
by any chance have you done a fecal?

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Update. Herbert the tortoise , sleeps
A lot. Well today I tried something. I put him in the enclosure with Rosie, and watched. He immediately started running to her, she was eating, and started sniffing her, would not leave her alone. This is the two I got rid that were living together a week ago. Well, seen how that worked, he went back in his enclosure immediately. Guess there is nothing wrong with him after all . Just being stubborn . He is eating, some. And he is pooping and peeing. Wakes right up if the female is around. But she is too small to mate yet. The life and times of a tortoise owner and tortoises I guess!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
He is saving his energy for the opportunity to harass her. I have 9 Russians and they are all a little different in their routine and habits. Glad he is ok.

SoCal
I've been raising Russians for a little while now, and they need time to adjust to their new environment. I've had them take to their surroundings immediately and start eating immediately. I've also had some that have taken 1-3 weeks to start eating, which can be unsettling when you're new to them. My friend recently bought a captive bred female, healthy in every way but it took her 5 weeks for her to finally start behaving normally. Kind of like people, they have different personalities, some are braver than others, some are more resilient to change.

I've always used what I call the "boys will be boys test." My male was hurt by my dog while I was working on their enclosure, I had placed them in a high walled planter nearby. While I was digging out a spot I found a 1 pound clay brick in the ground, which I placed on the high walled planter nearby, not thinking of it twice. My wife came home, and came outside to look for me, not knowing what I was doing. She let my dog Sami out, and Sami got excited and pushed the clay brick off the planter wall onto my tortoise, it was about a 3 foot drop. I picked him up, and he didn't seem to have any damage, but I was torn over whether or not I should take him to the vets, and seeing that I was broke when this happened, I was sweating bullets. He wouldn't come out of his shell, but his arms had plenty of strength in them. I let him chill for about 45 minutes and then put him in front of one of his many wives, and wouldn't you know it, he immediately tried to mount her and he was back to business as usual. I ended up feeling guilty not having him checked out, so I pawned some old coins I had and took him in, he was absolutely fine, just a little rattled the day of. You can rest assured that in most cases, when your tort passes the boys will be boys test, he's probably fine. Honestly, it sounds like your tort was having trouble adjusting, but he forgot it once he saw Rosie's pretty face.

If I had been placed in a new home, alone, then presented a new girlfriend, I'd get happy in the same pants I got mad in.

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Youngstown, Ohio
Thi
I've been raising Russians for a little while now, and they need time to adjust to their new environment. I've had them take to their surroundings immediately and start eating immediately. I've also had some that have taken 1-3 weeks to start eating, which can be unsettling when you're new to them. My friend recently bought a captive bred female, healthy in every way but it took her 5 weeks for her to finally start behaving normally. Kind of like people, they have different personalities, some are braver than others, some are more resilient to change.

I've always used what I call the "boys will be boys test." My male was hurt by my dog while I was working on their enclosure, I had placed them in a high walled planter nearby. While I was digging out a spot I found a 1 pound clay brick in the ground, which I placed on the high walled planter nearby, not thinking of it twice. My wife came home, and came outside to look for me, not knowing what I was doing. She let my dog Sami out, and Sami got excited and pushed the clay brick off the planter wall onto my tortoise, it was about a 3 foot drop. I picked him up, and he didn't seem to have any damage, but I was torn over whether or not I should take him to the vets, and seeing that I was broke when this happened, I was sweating bullets. He wouldn't come out of his shell, but his arms had plenty of strength in them. I let him chill for about 45 minutes and then put him in front of one of his many wives, and wouldn't you know it, he immediately tried to mount her and he was back to business as usual. I ended up feeling guilty not having him checked out, so I pawned some old coins I had and took him in, he was absolutely fine, just a little rattled the day of. You can rest assured that in most cases, when your tort passes the boys will be boys test, he's probably fine. Honestly, it sounds like your tort was having trouble adjusting, but he forgot it once he saw Rosie's pretty face.

If I had been placed in a new home, alone, then presented a new girlfriend, I'd get happy in the same pants I got mad in.

This is good to know! I do feel better, just have to give him time. Thanks

Crzt4torts

5 Year Member
Northeastern US
I have a male/female pair I recently separated after 12 years together - my male is eating MUC less now, also sleeping a lot.
I'm also wondering if it is because they are apart. On the up side my female is thriving now alone. She is eating more than ever, but I am very worried about the male! I have even begun attempting to hand feed him but he is really taking very little in. Still alert, but not interested in food.
If I had not seen the female looking so much better I'd be inclined to place them back together, but in my case that is not the answer because I see it would be detrimental to her. So I need to find a fix to get my poor male up to par soon, it has been 2 months of separation at this point. He has lost 7 grams.
Any advice from out there appreciated!