hard boiled eggs and the shells

transboxer

I feed my red tortoises often hard boiled eggs. I was told that I could feed them the shells of the eggs as well for calcium. Is this okay to do and beneficial. I am trying to get my tortoises more protein, not necessarily calcium, for better egg hatch rate. I have tons of eggs each year but none hatch i feel due to not being fertile. Any input appreciated.

Thank you !

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Yes, and yed
I grind mine into a fine powder

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Yep feed away. I kinda smash the egg ounce boiled. But kinda a light smash to just crack the exterior of the shell into tiny cracks so they can dig right in. I do this for the larger-adults though. The wee guys I leave shell whole.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Am I the only one imqgining him yelling HULK SMASH

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I boil and then smash the egg. I mean SMASH. (Just a few times a year.)
My sub adult Redfoot pair used to mate and lay eggs and they were never fertile. How large are your tortoises?
How many males and females do you have?

susanna valerio

I feed my red tortoises often hard boiled eggs. I was told that I could feed them the shells of the eggs as well for calcium. Is this okay to do and beneficial. I am trying to get my tortoises more protein, not necessarily calcium, for better egg hatch rate. I have tons of eggs each year but none hatch i feel due to not being fertile. Any input appreciated.

Thank you !
Hi, I have your same tortoise, just rescued from a pet store where she was kept in a tiny glass tank. I do not have any experience about tortoise and not sure how much to feed and how often, I am feeding her everyday, mixed vegies and salad and 3 times a week warms, is that right? should I feed her every other day instead? thanks for helping. Susanna