Proper housing for baby leopard tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
DSC01290.JPGHi everyone... i am new to the forum... i have learned so much in the last few days my head is spinning... i have 2 baby leopards and thought i had the best set up for them but have learned differently... i recenlty changed their substrate to cypress mulch for mumidity and started misting their enclosure whenever i can... i am having a terrible time keeping the temp and humidity right... i recently read a thread on keeping them completely enclosed to retain the heat and humidity and want to run an idea by you all... i have a custom bearded dragon enclosure that i bought at a reptile expo in december and am thinking about using it for my baby leopards until i can get a larger one... it is probably equivalent to a 15 gallon aquarium... it is completely enclosed except for a small screen vent in the back for circulation... mounted inside in the top is a small florescent light and to the right of it is a ceramic fixture for a heat source... the front has 2 sliding plexiglass doors... i have attached a picture... please let me know what you all think... the only thing i am concerned with is controlling the temperature... what is considered too warm for a baby leopard?

Tammy

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
i think it would work very well, for a short time. It is very small, maybe too small. A cheaper way is to purchase a plastic tote from home depot, etc. A 50 gallon will last a while. I use two of them connected with a tunnel. I also use a MVB, a CHE and a humidifier. I keep the lids on, with holes cut out for the lights etc. I also use just coconut coir as there is no molding concerns. If you want to use the tank in the picture, go for it, it will work great, except the size, you will have to upgrade to a larger enclosure soon. Also please read if you haven't yet the threads listed at the bottom of this post with my signature:D Good luck.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Thank you so much!... i will only use it on a temporary basis... quickly though before i turn in the the night, what temp is considered too warm for baby leopards?...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The basking should be 95-100, the over all temp should not be lower then 80-85 day and night. However these temps are with a good humidity of at least 85% and higher. If the humidity is lower, the over all temps shouldn't be quite so high. The higher temps are with good high humidity for the pyramiding. The threads listed with my signature will help you a lot.
If I forgot, WELCOME:D and hope I got this to you before you went to bed. If not, sorry and have a good night.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Welcome to the Forum!

We sure would like to see what your babies look like!....hint hint hint.....;)

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Thank you all so much for the wonderful information... this forum is awesome... i have attached a few pictures... they are not that great but they are the only ones i have on my office computer.

T

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 54
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 49

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
That enclosure should work for two leopards for awhile.

What is your lighting set up like?

The tortoises look good and active.

[email protected]

5 Year Member
Right now I have a full spectrum light on during the day and an infrared on day & night... the infrared is on a goose-neck lamp so i can move it around easily if it gets too hot... that has been my problem... i can't seem to get the heat regulated... its all over the place because the temperature of the room fluctuates so much... right now i have them in a small room with a little space heater because i also have two young redfoots in there in a separate table... i am in the process of having a custom enclosure built that will make the humidity & heat more manageable... i am going to use a thermostat and i think that will help a lot.

Tam

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
They Look Pretty Active :)
You can use the bearded dragon cage but your gonna have to switch up some time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.