Project pet AD, the good&bAD- does anyone wish to help/contribute?

Shall I create content using pet ads?

• Go for it, nothing to loose!

Votes: 3 75.0%
  • No, it could cause overwhelm/confusion or offence

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • Leave it to a more experienced member

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Littleredfootbigredheart

Location (City and/or State)
UK
I think, passing a link to the care sheet or just mentioning TFO will be the best. They seem to care about their tort, so are probably interested in him having a better care.
Yes absolutely, that will be my approach moving forward, I can always close the project and get one of the admins to delete the thread if you think that’s more appropriate?
I posted these today to test the waters on how people felt about it, but I understand if not everyone agrees with the approach, still learning the ropes in trying to help whenever I can in my spare time😊

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Are most of these people getting rid of the tortoises? If so, what I usually do is something to this effect:

Hey, I know I'm just some rando on the internet, and I'm sure you're just looking for the best home for your tortoise and I'm sorry I can't take them, but please consider reaching out to a tortoise rescue or shelter if you don't find a home. Unfortunately this tortoise is really unhealthy. Do you see how the shell looks like a hand grenade? That is a called pyramiding and often is a sign of metabolic bone disease. Unfortunately even though most people think tortoises are easy to raise they do not actually raise them properly. This tortoise is quite unwell, please consider bringing it to a rescue or shelter if you cannot find a home.

Sometimes when they are asking hundreds of dollars I also say: If you look at craigslist, people who don't know anything about tortoises can buy a baby for $80, why would they pay hundreds of dollars for yours? Anyone who knows anything about tortoises will know its unhealthy, anyone who doesn't know anything about tortoises has cheaper options. Please consider bringing it to a shelter or contacting a rescue group

If you ever do consider getting a tortoise in the future visit https://tortoiseforum.org/, unfortunately there is a lot of bad of info out there, and it looks like from the health of yours, you didn't know better. I hope if you ever get another one, you'll be able to give it a good life.

anyway something like that...

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Are most of these people getting rid of the tortoises? If so, what I usually do is something to this effect:

Hey, I know I'm just some rando on the internet, and I'm sure you're just looking for the best home for your tortoise and I'm sorry I can't take them, but please consider reaching out to a tortoise rescue or shelter if you don't find a home. Unfortunately this tortoise is really unhealthy. Do you see how the shell looks like a hand grenade? That is a called pyramiding and often is a sign of metabolic bone disease. Unfortunately even though most people think tortoises are easy to raise they do not actually raise them properly. This tortoise is quite unwell, please consider bringing it to a rescue or shelter if you cannot find a home.

Sometimes when they are asking hundreds of dollars I also say: If you look at craigslist, people who don't know anything about tortoises can buy a baby for $80, why would they pay hundreds of dollars for yours? Anyone who knows anything about tortoises will know its unhealthy, anyone who doesn't know anything about tortoises has cheaper options. Please consider bringing it to a shelter or contacting a rescue group

If you ever do consider getting a tortoise in the future visit https://tortoiseforum.org/, unfortunately there is a lot of bad of info out there, and it looks like from the health of yours, you didn't know better. I hope if you ever get another one, you'll be able to give it a good life.

That’s a VERY good point when it comes to people trying to sell them on to a better home, I do understand them wanting to get money on the equipment side of things, but unfortunately a lot of the equipment being sold with them will eventually need updating by the new owner anyway🫤
Thank you for the response! I like your approach🙂

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.

While a appreciate the intent. And at face value it seems like a great idea, my experience with " rescues" has been extremely disappointing to say the least. In fact, I don't personally believe that there is an ACTUAL one in all of South Florida.
They seem to be breeders, hoarders or flat out resellers. One such scam artist was briefly a member here. One I had experience dealing with.
Sorry. The whole term "rescue" strikes a nerve. Could you tell?
The first thing I would suggest is helping a keeper do better themselves. Especially a keeper that seems compassionate. But is just ignorant to how to keep their tort properly.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
While a appreciate the intent. And at face value it seems like a great idea, my experience with " rescues" has been extremely disappointing to say the least. In fact, I don't personally believe that there is an ACTUAL one in all of South Florida.
They seem to be breeders, hoarders or flat out resellers. One such scam artist was briefly a member here. One I had experience dealing with.
Sorry. The whole term "rescue" strikes a nerve. Could you tell?
The first thing I would suggest is helping a keeper do better themselves. Especially a keeper that seems compassionate. But is just ignorant to how to keep their tort properly.

I definitely think its true there are a lot of either bad rescues or outright scammers out there, but given the state they are in, seems better to at least try.

Here's this morning's fiasco: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/grd/d/palmdale-leopards-tortoise/7737565699.html

I don't know anything about geckos and can tell you one is way too skinny and look how this tortoise is being kept. Its just awful. pretty much ANYONE would be better than this...

plus a nice pyramiding yellowfoot (if that's what it is): https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/for/d/van-nuys-amazon-basin-yellowfoot/7734236563.html

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I definitely think its true there are a lot of either bad rescues or outright scammers out there, but given the state they are in, seems better to at least try.

Here's this morning's fiasco: https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/grd/d/palmdale-leopards-tortoise/7737565699.html

I don't know anything about geckos and can tell you one is way too skinny and look how this tortoise is being kept. Its just awful. pretty much ANYONE would be better than this...

plus a nice pyramiding yellowfoot (if that's what it is): https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/for/d/van-nuys-amazon-basin-yellowfoot/7734236563.html
That skinny little gecko is heartbreaking😞

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Btw guys, I went ahead and messaged @ZEROPILOT and @Yvonne G to see if they think this thread should be taken down, I get the feeling people aren’t into the format I’ve posted which is fair enough, I wouldn’t want this to be off putting to potential new members or an overwhelm of info.
I’ll still be passing the links onto ads I come across.
Feel free to give your opinions on whether you’d like the thread to stay up though, perhaps it’ll be taken into consideration, I’m personally happy to continue with it if people do like the format and find it interesting, but I wanted to take the opinions on board, hence I’ve messaged the mods🙂

I know as a general rule of thumb threads aren’t removed, so if people don’t wish for me to keep posting on the project perhaps they’ll either shut off replies or allow this thread to get buried lol

Last edited:

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
My suggestion is to post here one ad at a time. This way it's easier to find and post relevant comments. Maybe makes sense to omit "personal details" like keepers reaction if this thread serves as education for newcomers.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I think I may possibly hold off on posting the ads till I hear back from some of the mods.
I’m paranoid posting them will be coming off like I’m judging with the ops which definitely wasn’t my intention☹️Lord knows I’ve made my fair share of mistakes, we’ll see, least I tested the waters, I’d of been left wondering about whether it was a good idea or not lol so I’m glad for the input&opinions I’ve received so far😊