Nighttime heating for Russian Tortoise indoors in Tortoise Table

CassMep

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi. I’m new here and would welcome some advice. I have a 6month old Russian Tortoise kept in a tortoise table. As it’s now getting cold at night and the Mercury bulb with UV goes off. I’m wondering what people use in the indoor part of their table to ensure it doesn’t go below 15 degrees at night? I’ve heard hear mats can be dangerous, but maybe having them on the side can be better. I’d welcome any suggestions on the best thing to do. Thanks

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I use a ceramic heat emitter to keep the temp in the 70'sF at night so my adult Russian won't try to hibernate.
If I let it go down into the 60's F which is a normal night temp for Russians he likes to then slow down too much.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
A CHE run through a thermostat is a good option.
The che just gives heat so it will be dark for your tort to sleep.
The thermostat will keep temps even and make sure the tort doesn't get too hot.
I bought both of mine at The Range for about £50 but that was 7 years ago.
It's hard to control temps and humidity with an open table.
This is the caresheet you need which will help you get the right temps and conditions, if you follow the advice in that your tort should thrive

MVBs aren't recommended now because they can dry and damage tort shells. Many of us use T5 HO tube kits for uvb, with a flood basking bulb and a che.
If you post some pics of your enclosure you'll get good feedback. Sadly there's a lot of old incorrect information still being passed around and pet shops who are happy to sell unsuitable and unsafe equipment for profit.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I’m wondering what people use in the indoor part of their table to ensure it doesn’t go below 15 degrees at night?
When you say indoor part of the table do you mean the little hide section at the end?
If so I don't think a CHE would be safe to actually use inside it as it would be too low/close to the tort and burn him. They are often used near them though with the thermostat probe placed inside to make sure the tort doesn't overheat.

CassMep

UK
I use a ceramic heat emitter to keep the temp in the 70'sF at night so my adult Russian won't try to hibernate.
If I let it go down into the 60's F which is a normal night temp for Russians he likes to then slow down too much.
Thanks. Any particular one you recommend? And do you use a separate thermostat with it? Thanks

CassMep

UK
When you say indoor part of the table do you mean the little hide section at the end?
If so I don't think a CHE would be safe to actually use inside it as it would be too low/close to the tort and burn him. They are often used near them though with the thermostat probe placed inside to make sure the tort doesn't overheat.
Yes - she tends to stroll off at bedtime to the indoors hide part at night, but I’ve noticed on my thermometer that sometimes it’s getting colder than the recommended 15 degrees.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes - she tends to stroll off at bedtime to the indoors hide part at night, but I’ve noticed on my thermometer that sometimes it’s getting colder than the recommended 15 degrees.
Okay I didn't catch that you meant the hide area like Lyn W mentioned. Post a pic of the hide. It's likely too small for any heater inside. You could hang one right outside the hide. I don't use a thermostat on mine as I already know it's not going to get too warm where the winter enclosure is. I do check it once in a while with a temp gun. Mine lives his winters in a semi enclosed green house. Yours being an open table it won't get too warm in yours either as heat rises. Get a temp gun to check the temps.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK

Yup its pretty cold here at the moment.
It would be fine to hang it near the hide with a thermostat probe inside it, but ideally a closed enclosure like a large viv would give you better control of temps and humidity. There are ways of adapting a table with plexiglass or by putting a mini portable greenhouse over it. Have a look at the enclosures thread for ideas or use the search facility.
For a table in the house I think I would always use a thermostat - torts have been killed by overheating with a che.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks. Any particular one you recommend? And do you use a separate thermostat with it? Thanks
The che and thermostat from The Range have lasted well (Komodo I think)