prickly pear

Emily Contreras

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
My nana has a prickly pear cactus in the backyard that is more than 30 years old! (I think)
It has never been sprayed or treated, its just survived on its own. Anyways, can I feed that to saturn?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yes. Definitely.
If you have the option of picking and choosing. Take the new, small, soft pads.
The spines wont get you when they're soft.
You can also feed the cactus flower and fruit.
However. Sulcata must have fruit on rare occasions only.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Greetings..

I just posted this on another thread..

The Cactus Pad

A5880B94-7AFC-4B0A-8DC2-33D549B5BCD3.jpeg

The Cleaned Pad

7C5F758F-2C76-4F83-99C2-F44EDABF1718.jpeg

Trimming Off the Edges

A4D5EB9E-43AA-4943-97FE-D3BF8D04E1CE.jpeg

And Cut Up Ready to Serve

5B25FBB3-79B2-49FD-A59B-0DCB33AEB528.jpeg

Served with Nopales Fruit

F929F1E9-08C5-44CB-B3FD-B469229421AE.jpeg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The actual pads. The red things are the fruit. The fruit can be very messy if you don't already know, but from my understanding most tortoises like it.
True. But I cant say how much is safe for a Sulcata to eat. (The fruit)
It has a low sugar content. So I'm thinking its relatively safe as an occasional treat. The cactus, however, can be fed semi regularly.

drew54

Indiana
True. But I cant say how much is safe for a Sulcata to eat. (The fruit)
It has a low sugar content. So I'm thinking its relatively safe as an occasional treat. The cactus, however, can be fed semi regularly.

I think I read in one of the million threads on here that you wnt to treat it like any other fruit as you stated an occasional treat. Have you or anyone else on here ever eat the fruit yourselves?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I feed spineless opuntia pads to my guys all Summer long and well into fall. Great tortoise food. No need to cut it or prepare it in any way. Even my little star hatchlings have no problems taking bites from and eating whole pads.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My nana has a prickly pear cactus in the backyard that is more than 30 years old! (I think)
It has never been sprayed or treated, its just survived on its own. Anyways, can I feed that to saturn?
Is it the spineless variety? Can we see a pic?

I feed the cactus fruit to my guys once in a while. I don't consider it "fruit" like a strawberry or a grape.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
Is it the spineless variety? Can we see a pic?

I feed the cactus fruit to my guys once in a while. I don't consider it "fruit" like a strawberry or a grape.
Well Im going to my nanas this weekend, It doesnt have any spikes on it. I know the rabbits near her house always eat the fallen fruit. They also make this yummy mexican dish out of it. but it has no spikes at all.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
I feed spineless opuntia pads to my guys all Summer long and well into fall. Great tortoise food. No need to cut it or prepare it in any way. Even my little star hatchlings have no problems taking bites from and eating whole pads.
mm AWESOME Im glad. because hes starting to get bored of hibiscus leaves and dandelions :rolleyes:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Well Im going to my nanas this weekend, It doesnt have any spikes on it. I know the rabbits near her house always eat the fallen fruit. They also make this yummy mexican dish out of it. but it has no spikes at all.
In that case, grab a whole bunch of the newer pads that grew this year. Start with smaller pads until he gets used to it. Some tortoises will readily eat it on day one, but most tortoises have to be introduced to it over time. Once they know what it is, they love it. If you store the pads some where with good ventilation, preferably outside in the shade, they will last for months. Don't put them in a bag or box and don't put them in the fridge. That will make them go bad quicker.

Emily Contreras

Arizona
In that case, grab a whole bunch of the newer pads that grew this year. Start with smaller pads until he gets used to it. Some tortoises will readily eat it on day one, but most tortoises have to be introduced to it over time. Once they know what it is, they love it. If you store the pads some where with good ventilation, preferably outside in the shade, they will last for months. Don't put them in a bag or box and don't put them in the fridge. That will make them go bad quicker.
Okay thanks! PHEW im so glad he can eat those. That'll save me some money lol.