Prickly Pear Cactus

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFCO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amherstburg, Ontario
Hello I have a question about the prickly pear cactus. I live in Canada and have found some nurserys that sell this cactus they say it will get yellow flowers on it but have never seen any type of fruit. Is this the type of cactus I would feed to my sulcata?

Thanks for your help!!!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
If winter hardy in your area it is most likely Opuntia humifusa. It has large yellow blossums and the fruit is smaller and green. This is the plant I grow for my herd and feed them the pads.

TFCO

5 Year Member
Amherstburg, Ontario
Finally after looking for almost a year I found a a prickly pear cactus for my tort and already going to see if the pads root for me!ImageUploadedByTortForum1376083371.439778.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1376083384.709729.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
What you have is Opuntia ficus-indicus. This the one grown for eating both pads and fruit (agricultural crop). It is great food but will have to be brought in for winter.

Lilyloveslettuse

5 Year Member
Oregon
When I lived in Mexico we chopped it up, rinsed the slimy juice off and sauted it a little before adding to our scrambled eggs in the morning. To me it tastes like green beans. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.