Prickly pear

Judytort

Yay managed to find some prickly pear fruit in the local market for £1.50 !

Q.. How much can he have ?
Q.. Can I plant the seeds?

Attachments

• 20160907_100454.jpg
    20160907_100454.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 27

motero

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Give him as much as he wants, yes you can plant the seeds. Do some reading on cactus growing you don't water them like other plants and temperature will be a factor to get it to germinate.

Judytort

Thanks for the reply..when you say as much as he wants, is that once a week ?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
My babies love it! The seeds are pretty big and hard as little rocks. At first I'd feverishly pick them all out and serve the prickly pear "mash" they loved it ofcourse. Now I don't bother with the seeds just cut the fruit in sections (my babies' mouths are still very small) and put down on top or mix it in with their food. They love it. You can always tell during bath when they ate cactus fruit, there are tons of little etched seeds in their poo:)

Barrysulcata

Uk
Hi judy
Barry loves them
I started with 2 plants now I have 6 I split them and they growing well got some more new cutting to pot to

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You could feed some out a few times a week, but I'd mix it up with the other greens.

I have never tried to grow it from seed, but give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

Barrysulcata

Uk
Hi tom
I believe it was you who told me how to split my 2 plant which I did and now I got more shuts on all of them

Barrysulcata

Uk
Here they are are but I've also cut new ones of top and they are rooted

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12

Barrysulcata

Uk
Hi Judy
Trust me you don't need to be green fingers to grow prickly pear so so easy cause I carnt normally grow anythink

Holly'sMom

I can't get ours to eat these or any haubisicus leaves/flower but as someone else pointed out they are extremely easy to grow. I ordered 5 rooted pads on eBay for 10$, I'm HORRIBLE at planting, growing or replanting plants but these have thrived just stuck in a pot these are only a few weeks old but you can see new growth(I haven't cut off yet)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1473381474.366196.jpg

Holly'sMom

It could be because I cut them lol that's why the other tops have cuts? Or maybe i didn't cut that one in not sure but normally all my plants die in a week