Prickly Pear?

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I was given the original pad of this cactus from a coworker. He was given his from a friend out southwest (possibly AZ, I don't remember though). Well it's grown quite a lot since, it actually had 2 more pads where the new one is growing now but they continued to stack on top of each other and toppled. Basically I wonder if when it grows more my Nank can have bits here and there (as can I), and better care for it. It has never flowered either... How do people get their cacti to flower?
I can get other types of pictures if you need just let me know of what.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1433721841.020043.jpg

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Cacti flowers at night. Usually very pretty flowers, that tortoises love.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
What kind of light does it get?

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
This just my oppion but if you want more pads cut the top one off . Give it more light . And if you want it to flower this fall put it out in the garage ( we're you park your car ) in the cold ( not frost ) and give it 2 oz . Of water a week then bring it in the house and give it a good watering and then about 2 oz of water every week it will flower

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
This just my oppion but if you want more pads cut the top one off . Give it more light . And if you want it to flower this fall put it out in the garage ( we're you park your car ) in the cold ( not frost ) and give it 2 oz . Of water a week then bring it in the house and give it a good watering and then about 2 oz of water every week it will flower
I genuinely believe this cactus is an idiot, 2 fell off in the winter where the top one decided to grow in the spring again... I mean really it didn't work the first time must the plant try it again!? It's on our closed up porch for the winter (no garage and it gets very cold in MA outside). But now I have an idea of how to get it to flower (hopefully, like I said though I swear this cactus is an idiot! Lol)