Pretend Chat 2.14

ijmccollum

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
N. Utah
Very cute grandson Yvonne. I myself have gorgeous granddaughter. Three months old now and I am full of pride. Unfortunately being the "paternal grandparent" hit me up side the head last weekend. Gotta say I am feeling pretty depressed. But here is my son and his daughter.

Attachments

• Sam and V.jpg
    Sam and V.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 36

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Being the paternal grandparent isn't a bad thing at all! I'm much closer to mine. :D

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
ijmccollum said:
Unfortunately being the "paternal grandparent" hit me up side the head last weekend.

Want to talk about it? (my laptop is being super slow, so as of yet I can't see your Granddaughter... :(

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Be patient Jacqui. Its worth it. ;) I awe-d outloud. :D

1392760540083.jpg
As of yet only the floor is insulated.

Last edited by a moderator:

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Nice box Tiff!

Barista5261 said:
Did you try rehydrating the Timothy hay? I take scissors and cut it up into REALLY tiny pieces, rehydrate it, then mix it up with their regular greens so it sticks to the greens and they are none the wiser [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Yes ma'am I did that fancy little trick even with Mazuri and they turned their noses up and walked away. [FLUSHED FACE][FLUSHED FACE] I didn't think it was possible. Good thing, I got them to start eating weeds from the yard. They didn't touch it for 3 weeks. These guys are Mazuri whores too. I've got no words..O well Herbal Tortoise Hay it is. Boy, it smells awesome! I could smell it through the box!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I did a quick coat of paint on my one plant stand outside taking advantage of the warmth and ignoring the winds. It was a bit nippy because of the wind too. Any how am I the only one who when they paint, end up wearing some of the paint?

Tif, I thought you were sick?

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
I am. I just cant eat or do anything that requires running or hyperventilating. I couldn't keep my lunch down today. My dad is helping build the box, so i can just call the shots. :D

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
I had Ellie out to enjoy the sunshine today and she enjoyed it but not like she used to...

Here's her a few months ago:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1392764865.331749.jpg

Here's her today:
ImageUploadedByTortForum1392764901.655488.jpg

She eats 4 cups of food a day and doesn't have parasites. Just looks like I'm neglecting her. But I see a sadness in her eyes.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Oh Kim, that is so sad. :( I feel for both Ellie and you.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Thats so sad :(
She looks loved though. Really. Neglected dogs don't have that look in their eye.

I just realised how OCD my dad is. I had one 2x4 off (width wise not length wise) and he freaked out. I was like GEEZ.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
He just wants it to look nice and work right, Tif.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Ahhh, but its more than that. Its a story for another time. I'm going to do nothing now and mentally prepare myself for food.

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ
Yuppers [FACE SAVOURING DELICIOUS FOOD]your Dad is like Randy. That's why it took 6 weeks for our enclosure to be built [FACE WITH STUCK-OUT TONGUE AND WINKING EYE]

RosieRedfoot

5 Year Member
Columbia, SC
ImageUploadedByTortForum1392770733.963796.jpg

ImageUploadedByTortForum1392771160.007384.jpg

The boys are happy though. Obviously a good weight and not starved (she eats more than they do every day). I also give her electrolyte powder in her water to prevent dehydration from her bouts of diarrhea and incontinence. Today she peed about 30 times while out during those two hours of play and most of it was pink, but at the end it was just blood drops or nothing. Last vet visit about two months back when she couldn't keep down food for 5 days and was nonstop wetting herself her bloodwork might have indicated cancer but there were no definitive outliers or anything upon examination but I'm thinking she may have a mass in her bladder/kidney failure. I didn't see the point in doing x-rays or exploratory surgery since both those diagnoses only have palliative care outcomes. But we will see what the vet says tomorrow afternoon first, although I doubt it will be positive.

Thanks for the support everyone.

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Lets hope for good news. :):heart:

On yet another bad note, the tortoise I'm supposed to be getting is not an average sulcata.

He's on some special all- vegetable diet. I dont know how well he'll acclimate to Mazuri. There's no way I can afford to feed him like the foster is. Two heads of romaine lettuce a day!!!! And 6 apples?!?! Its kind of insane.

ijmccollum

5 Year Member
N. Utah
Actually I am finding out that it is way common, daughters gravitate toward their mothers when they first become mothers - and she has a very "hands on" mom. I just wasn't ready for it....the mom babysitting 5days a week, FB posts with the grand-baby, the oh so much bond time with her while I get limited time, usually taking them out to a restaurant. But you know what? I have a fabulous son, a marvelous daughter in law, and an incredible granddaughter. I am still a winner and will remain hands off and respect their family boundaries, after all I am the grandparent, not the parent, my son and daughter in law have that under control. I am over myself now. Just breathe.

My heart so goes out to Ellie and her human companion. Keep her close and love her lots.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
tffnytorts said:
Lets hope for good news. :):heart:

On yet another bad note, the tortoise I'm supposed to be getting is not an average sulcata.

He's on some special all- vegetable diet. I dont know how well he'll acclimate to Mazuri. There's no way I can afford to feed him like the foster is. Two heads of romaine lettuce a day!!!! And 6 apples?!?! Its kind of insane.

He shouldn't be getting that many apples. :( They would be better to be giving him other greens then romaine or some hay. I know I don't feed mine much Mazuri.

ijmccollum said:
Actually I am finding out that it is way common, daughters gravitate toward their mothers when they first become mothers - and she has a very "hands on" mom. I just wasn't ready for it....the mom babysitting 5days a week, FB posts with the grand-baby, the oh so much bond time with her while I get limited time, usually taking them out to a restaurant. But you know what? I have a fabulous son, a marvelous daughter in law, and an incredible granddaughter. I am still a winner and will remain hands off and respect their family boundaries, after all I am the grandparent, not the parent, my son and daughter in law have that under control. I am over myself now. Just breathe.

My heart so goes out to Ellie and her human companion. Keep her close and love her lots.

What if you say you would like to babysit on such and such a date. Let them know you want some one on one with the new little one.