Prep for new sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

swatsx

5 Year Member
Ok I'm planning on getting a baby sulcata in a couple months , he'll start off in my 200 gallon tank for first year or two then move to bigger pen here's my questions will a indoor pen say 8ft x 16ft be good with a outdoor pen 10-12ft x 30 ft be ok? And what are some grass, plants, trees (apple?) that I can plant now or in spring and let grow a good year or two till he's big enough to go out in summer? I live in south eastern Michigan so he'll only be outside say 3 months a year thanks for your help

Dyrrran

5 Year Member
Well I wouldn't put an apple tree The pen because what if it was user the tree and an apple hit it.

*under

I do like how your preparing ahead.

Some people just get them and don't really know what they need and when they get to big they get rid of them.

A hibiscus tree would be good though. It will eat the leaves and when it gets big enough you can just cut a branch off and they will eat the leaves from a branch

swatsx

5 Year Member
I'll just name him newton lol I was just thinking with the tree it'd be another food source as the apples fall and it gives him a shade area should it be grassy or more sandy

swatsx

5 Year Member
Would a rose of Sharon tree work since its the only hibiscus that I know that can live I'm mi winters and I have one already lol

Is there a better grass then the other? Since I spray for weeds ill have to stop and might replace all the grass

lkwagner

5 Year Member
I live in south eastern mi with 3 sulcatas and I grow a mixture of lettuces, I ordered a package of sulcata grass seed and planted it in a planter, I also have 3 hibiscus bushes. 2 of the hibiscus bushes I just got at Home Depot this past weekend for only $9... they were on clearance.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1373297190.777870.jpg
Get your hibiscus now so the fertilizers are gone plus they are cheap right now.

Does your 200 gallon tank have a lid to keep humidity in?

Don't know where exactly your located but the Pontiac foodland and Vince and joes both sell cactus pads. Only 2 places I've found them so far.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
swatsx said:
Ok I'm planning on getting a baby sulcata in a couple months , he'll start off in my 200 gallon tank for first year or two then move to bigger pen here's my questions will a indoor pen say 8ft x 16ft be good with a outdoor pen 10-12ft x 30 ft be ok? And what are some grass, plants, trees (apple?) that I can plant now or in spring and let grow a good year or two till he's big enough to go out in summer? I live in south eastern Michigan so he'll only be outside say 3 months a year thanks for your help

Hello and welcome. Glad you are researching ahead of time.

Your 200 will be a bit cramped for him by the first year or so, if all goes well.

Your indoor and outdoor pen dimensions will be fine for about 3-4 years, and then you will need to work something else out. There are several sulcatas here on this site that are already 30+ pounds at 3-4 years old. I would anticipate 50-60 by 5 years old for them.

I would not plant fruit trees in a sulcata pen. It will drop too much fruit and could make him sick. Mulberry trees work great and are good food too. Most regular trees will be fine for some shade in summer.

Keeping an adult sulcata in a climate like your is possible, but its also difficult and expensive. Have you really thought this through? What will you do when your tortoise is 32" long, 150 pounds, and has the power to push right through drywall? How will you get him in and out of the house on a daily basis? There are other great species that are much more suited to your climate, or that are small enough to manage indoors in the dimensions you listed. Just bringing it up, in case you hadn't thought that far ahead.

swatsx

5 Year Member
What are these type I want a tortoise for sure I'm open to options I love the look of a sully but if I can get a pint size sulcata then sign me up if I can keep it in my 200 for life even better

Dyrrran

5 Year Member
Russian tortoises are small and box tures are small too.

Turtle*

Status
Not open for further replies.