Pre-Beginner looking for info

el_ote

5 Year Member

got scared about the night time cold so I left the light on with half the enclosure covered for darkness. hes in the bottom left corner dug in tho.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
It would be a very good idea to measure the temperature of his soak water before you soak him.

Comparing to our own body temperature is not going to tell us how it feels TO HIM. Because our body temperature is 98.6, the only things that will feel warm to us must be WARMER than 98.6. Anything below that feels COOL. When I felt what 80* water feels like, I was shocked at how cool it felt, but my Hermann's loves it, and sits calmly in her soak. When I checked the water that felt BARELY warm to me, it was100*- and then I understood why she hated baths in "warm" water: it felt too hot TO HER.
Sounds like you are really doing a GREAT job!!!!:):):)

Amanda81

5 Year Member
Northeast Tennessee
Do u live in an area where you could pick some weeds? I don't know what type your specific tortoise eats but if you can access some weeds that would offer some green stuff and save you a trip to the store. Winter has almost took all the weeds in my area and what I'm growing inside isn't ready to be picked off of but I get what I can everyday from the yard and add it to store greens and my guys love it. Just a suggestion.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
thanks stinax182! my plan for tonight is to cover the enclosure at lights out. I have a CHE coming in but won't be here till friday. I still need to buy greens so im behind on that but will get some. im also planning on buying the dried mix bags as mentioned on hermannihaven.
the little guy got a luke warm soak before he went into the enclosure. just warm enough before it was cold to the touch.

thank you gingerbee!
I am definitely trying follow all the advice from here!

You're doing great! That enclosure looks nice! The greens you can pitcher at grocery stores from probably under 5$. Collard, turnip, mustard and dandelion greens, endive, escarole, water cress and chicory are all great choices. You want to mix it up as much as possible. If you live somewhere with nice weather now, you could pick some weeds from an untreated area like dandelion greens and plantains. Thetortoisetable.uk.org is an edible plant database for torts. Dried or frozen greens lose a lot of nutrients. They are okay for older tortoises during the winter but your baby needs fresh stuff, which is easy to find.

phebe121

It would be a very good idea to measure the tempese of his soak water before you soak him.

Comparing to our own body temperature is not going to tell us how it feels TO HIM. Because our body temperature is 98.6, the only things that will feel warm to us must be WARMER than 98.6. Anything below that feels COOL. When I felt what 80* water feels like, I was shocked at how cool it felt, but my Hermann's loves it, and sits calmly in her soak. When I checked the water that felt BARELY warm to me, it was100*- and then I understood why she hated baths in "warm" water: it felt too hot TO HER.
Sounds like you are really doing a GREAT job!!!!:):):)

This is good to know my one tort loves her water to feel warm to my touch my other tort tryes to bet out ill be checking the temp from now on

el_ote

5 Year Member
Thanks all !! im glad i left the light on, it was only 82 when i checked this morning so im pretty sure it would have dropped much more had the light not been on.
I have seen weeds out and about while walking, but im still not sure if they are safe to feed or not. i saw one that looked like a dandelion without the flower part. think i need to start bringing ziplocks whenever i go out!
i have seen the tortoise table website and have downloaded the pdf of the safe to eat plants. i plan on going to a nursery and asking which if any they may have that can survive my conditions, either outside planted or inside the enclosure.

kmartin

central Florida
This time of year is a good time to pick up Christmas cactus, my Hermanns loves the pads and the flowers. Unless you get it from on organic place you won't be able to feed it to him yet, but once replanted and grown out a bit the make a good snack/treat in small amounts. (Check out the tortoise table.UK, they show which common houseplants can be fed, with suggestions of amounts that are safe.) And it will grow wild with minimal care- grows better after being turtle chewed! He will try to climb up the steps to get to them. I thinks it's the flower colors that he likes.

Last edited:

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
My crew won't eat Christmas cactus, so I get to enjoy it. If you wait until right after Christmas they will be on sale. Even if they are not flowering then, treat them right and they'll flower again.

For night warmth, get a ceramic heat emitter instead of running the light.

Hermann's are delightful and yours is so cute!

el_ote

5 Year Member
thanks johnsonnboswell. I have the CHE coming in tomorrow.

el_ote

5 Year Member

So let's all meet Notch. My 8 years old son named him. Not sure if I should start another thread since I'm past the pre-tort stage. if there is a way to change the title, please let me know and I can just update my first post...
anywhoo... more pics

2nd bath
he seemed much more relaxed this time.

Reactions: pam

el_ote

5 Year Member

one more pic. i like the layout here. i may add some more plastic plants and shrink the food dish to the size of the water dish.
that 100W CHE doesnt emit very strong heat, but the enclosure was 72* this morning so thats good.

stinax182

5 Year Member
Very nice! I'd put that basking platform deeper in the dirt so it's less of a fall. Or take it out altogether because he will climb and fall and your next thread on here will be 'oh no, my tort was on his back when i came home for who knows how long!' It never fails, lol

el_ote

5 Year Member
tjanks for the advice stinax182, I will definitely bury it more as soon as I get home! I liked the cave idea but not at the risk of an upside down tort

stinax182

5 Year Member
You will find they like to climb things they shouldn't... Walls or anything higher than them you put in their enclosure. It never fails, hah. It's usually just a phase but can be scary if they flip into a water dish or directly under the light.

el_ote

5 Year Member
ok just so I dont forget. Chris said he was 4-6 weeks old so ill guestimate a Halloween Birthday. I also have to find my tape measure. ..

el_ote

5 Year Member
hey stinax182, check it out, I burried the platform, but it looks like I may have to also move my plastic plants.
what you think... lol oy vey

just as I typed this, he fell back... lol rambunctious little fella

stinax182

5 Year Member
Omg! Hahaha too funny! It looks perfect. If he continues to do it you may want to move them but feel it out first.... It may just be a one time offense :D

el_ote

5 Year Member
hopefully he learned his lesson. I redecorated so he doesnt have a foothold to climb onto. ill add the pic later.