POWER OUTAGE!!! AWWWEEEE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jessicap

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
tortoisenerd said:
So what night temp do you usually keep this redfoot hatchling at that 70 was freezing and you needed to warm it to 90? Just curious, as I've never kept my tort that warm at night as I like a natural temp drop. I too have the hand warmers but haven't yet had a sustained outage.

I keep it at 80 ambient and slightly warmer under hide and water area 85-90. From everything I have read on Redfoots this is the temp it should be warm and humid. The temp had dropped below 70 and was getting colder. The house temp was down to about 50. I put the car at 90 to get it warm quickly. I also figured it may stress him out some moving him since I had only had him a week and figured the warmer temps would be good. If the inside enclosure temps are not correct please let me know. I REALLY want him to stay healthy!

-ryan-

5 Year Member
Thanks for the generator advice. I am doing the research now. I figure we can probably afford to get a small standby generator. I found out that Generac has a new small standby called the 'core power generator' or something like that, for around $1800 with the transfer switch included. I could get it installed for free by a family friend, so really it's only just about double what I would spend on a portable generator and transfer switch. I think we'll try to go that route.

Right now it has snowed a couple feet in the last couple of days, and I just try to keep my fingers crossed that we won't see any long outages this year. By next year we will be in our own house, and I will have a generator of some sort in place.

Stressful!

lusciousdragon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I am new here but I have something to contribute yay!
We had our power go out for 2 weeks after a big storm last year. We were so lucky to have a generator. I highly recommend everyone have one.
While on the subject of keeping our reptiles warm. I recommend that everyone keep their reptile heating elements plugged into a surge protector (just like you should with your computer and big electronics). If you get a big surge through your lines it could blow your lamps (and in my snakes' case their heat tape and thermostat) and then they would be without heat until you are able to purchase new supplies.

Status
Not open for further replies.