Power Outages

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRBailey

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Traverse City, MI
Being that I live in the north, and we just had a power outage that lasted over an hour, it made me think about the new torts I have arriving soon. What would I do to keep my babies warm if the power went out for a longer period of time? The house I rent doesn't have a fireplace or a generator. Since I only rent, installing either would be an expense I really don't want to put into this place. So, I went on an internet search and found a nice portable kerosene heater that puts out 23,000 BTU and heats up to 1000 sq foot. It is only $129 at Home Depot, so guess where I am going to be going this weekend. I feel much better knowing that my babies will be able to stay warm no matter what.
I wanted to pass this on to others here that live in the colder climates.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
My plan is in phases. I'm in Omaha with 4 young'uns, but the basic plan applies to bigguns as well.

Phase 1: Hot stuff in the habitat. Jugs of hot water, heated bricks, bags of hot sand or rice, etc. If the stove is un-useable, we have camping stoves as well.

Phase 2: If the problem is longer, move everyone into cheapo coolers (I have a few of the old white styrofoam kinds stacked for this sort of thing). Towels, hot bricks or bags, etc. This is also how I move them for the next phase.

Phase 3: Move them somewhere with heat and power- relative's home, work, etc. Just use the coolers to start with. Move into plastic tubs if it drags on even longer.

Kuro

5 Year Member
mine get moved upstairs...i have a gas stove up their that isn't powered by electricity so if the power is out for more then an hour they get moved upstairs where it stays about 80

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
This is even a concern for those of us that live in the South. Our big concern was all of our incubators, we have had 13 running at time. We opted to have a generator installed that would run the whole house. Not cheap, but comforting when/if the electricity fails or a hurricane is under way.

Status
Not open for further replies.