Powdery Mildew & Leaf Rust in Outdoor Garden

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Recently I've started seeing a little bit of leaf rust but mostly lots of powdery mildew in my outdoor Russian enclosure/garden, especially on the asters and plantain (Plantago spp.). I haven't been watering the plants at night. I've been trying to pull out any leaves that have this in the hopes that it doesn't spread further, but I can't watch my tort every minute. He's fine right now but if he did accidentally ingest some of these leaves, will he be OK?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, it IS a health hazard for humans, but I don't know about tortoises. Since you can't use pesticides, herbicides, etc. on tortoise's plants, I think you need to pull those plants and toss them.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Well, it IS a health hazard for humans, but I don't know about tortoises. Since you can't use pesticides, herbicides, etc. on tortoise's plants, I think you need to pull those plants and toss them.
Thanks, Yvonne! I got rid of a lot of plantain this weekend. The tort garden is much cleaner and ready for autumn.

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Recently I've started seeing a little bit of leaf rust but mostly lots of powdery mildew in my outdoor Russian enclosure/garden, especially on the asters and plantain (Plantago spp.). I haven't been watering the plants at night. I've been trying to pull out any leaves that have this in the hopes that it doesn't spread further, but I can't watch my tort every minute. He's fine right now but if he did accidentally ingest some of these leaves, will he be OK?

Most perennial asters routinely develop mildew by season's end regardless of watering schedules. Fall clean-up of all leaf and stem debris is recommended after flowering period ends as part of regular garden hygiene as prevention, especially with plants prone to these fungal disorders (asters, peonies, roses). They will start out each new season fresh and green.
Mowing plaintain, dandelion and clovers allows them to re-emerge, even same season, with new fresh green growth for your tortoise to enjoy.
Uprooting eradicates them.

Oxalis

10 Year Member!
Michigan
Most perennial asters routinely develop mildew by season's end regardless of watering schedules. Fall clean-up of all leaf and stem debris is recommended after flowering period ends as part of regular garden hygiene as prevention, especially with plants prone to these fungal disorders (asters, peonies, roses). They will start out each new season fresh and green.
Mowing plaintain, dandelion and clovers allows them to re-emerge, even same season, with new fresh green growth for your tortoise to enjoy.
Uprooting eradicates them.
Thank you so much for the tips, @domalle! I noticed some powdery mildew on my Echinacea as well. All part of the end-of-summer garden cleaning.