Potential owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ezratort18

5 Year Member
Hey everyone I've been doing a good bit of research and many times I would stumble onto this forum and I figured I should just join. I'm looking into getting a tortoise and I have it narrowed down to a few species but need some help finalizing my choice and making sure I choose the best one for me. A little about me I keep a good many reptiles and animals already (12 boas of various species, 2 bearded dragons one of which is 13 years old, 1 Merauke blue tongue skink, 2 pet rats, 3 birds, and 3 dogs). I take obsessively good care of my animals and love them all. I have a daughter on the way and as strange as it might sound to some my wife and I would like to get her a tortoise as a pet to grow along side her from birth and for decades to come. I know there is no way to ensure she will take it with her when she gets older but that is far away and I am more than willing to keep it myself. But back to the reason of why I am here! I have narrowed it to 3 species, Ibera Greeks, eastern Hermann's, and Russians. I am located in central nj so it gets pretty cold out but I plan on building an outdoor setup for it for the summer months and an indoor setup for winter. It gets humid here in the summer but during the winter it dries up a good bit. So far I'm leaving towards the Hermann's because they seem to be very hardy yet personable and stay a reasonable size. My question is are any of the species mentioned more tolerant to changing humidity levels than the others? Maintaining humidity levels is not a problem as I strictly monitor humidity for my boas but would like something that is relatively easier to take care of. Sorry about the novel of a post but I want to make sure I get everything taken care perfectly before I go ahead and purchase one. Thanks a million to who ever reads this whole thing haha

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
Well Welcome to the Forum :D and sounds like you have a significant klan there and I think that is a great idea....you know that those adorable little critters take up alot of time in the beginning right? (meaning the little human cuties ;)) lol....

Keep in mind also that Russians are hardcore hardwired for brumation as well as Hermanns have been known to want to siesta for awhile...depending on which area a greek generates from will also indicate some of their drive....now, before everyone jumps on me (lol....it is ok, I am use to it whenever the word brumate is mentioned :p:p:p:p:p) there are some folks who have, house, host, care for --facilitate these species and totally never brumate them, that is always your option as the human, but some species of torts just have a stronger, did I say stronger deeper seeded drive to rest for a few months or so each and every year---so be prepared to figure your system out to overwinter any one of these species if they are what you elect and brumation is not a function you are willing to facilitate....just felt I should mention this, as some folks are very alarmed when faced with this choice after they already have the critter in their home....

Now, on a side note; I just love each of these species---but somehow, the Russians are just so fantastic to me, they are hardy, tenacious, warrior/gladiators, spunky, gorgeous torts to me :D

ezratort18

5 Year Member
Any other suggestions on species from anyone? Thanks for the info so far. I'm not really one to brumate animals unless I plan on breeding them and I've read the care sheet on this site and it says brumation isn't always necessary. But if it comes to it I would be completely prepared to do so. Maybe there is a species that isn't so inclined to brumate and stays around the same size?

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Red foots are one to look into they do get larger then the ones you have mentioned how ever they don't brumate, they do need higher humidity but are okay with the change. Common as well and come in an assortment of coulors/phases. Just an idea might be bigger then what you can house inside.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum, ezratort!

ezratort18

5 Year Member
Rover15 said:
Red foots are one to look into they do get larger then the ones you have mentioned how ever they don't brumate, they do need higher humidity but are okay with the change. Common as well and come in an assortment of coulors/phases. Just an idea might be bigger then what you can house inside.

Humidity isn't a complete deal breaker. I had a red eyed crocodile skink that needed 80-100% humidity and I had no problem maintaining it. I'll look into them also. Biggest indoor housing I would like to have is about 4x6 feet.

Status
Not open for further replies.