New Tortoise guy

Ariel Perez

Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale, CA
Hello everyone, this is my first time on a forum and my first time in the tortoise world. I started reading about tortoises about a month ago and now I am super fired up to get one for myself. After all the searching and reading, I've narrowed my search down to the Red foot species. After visiting a couple reptile stores here in Southern California, I keep hearing that it wouldn't be a good idea to raise red foots here because of humidity levels. Although I'm good for the challenge of providing the perfect environment, I would love to see what you pros here at the Tortoise Forum think. I just want to make sure Im making the right choice.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Welcome to the forum. Check out the red foot section under the species specific category. You a found a great place for information and inspiration.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. A great breeder of RF lives in CA. Look up threads of member N2TORTS

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone, this is my first time on a forum and my first time in the tortoise world. I started reading about tortoises about a month ago and now I am super fired up to get one for myself. After all the searching and reading, I've narrowed my search down to the Red foot species. After visiting a couple reptile stores here in Southern California, I keep hearing that it wouldn't be a good idea to raise red foots here because of humidity levels. Although I'm good for the challenge of providing the perfect environment, I would love to see what you pros here at the Tortoise Forum think. I just want to make sure Im making the right choice.

I'm shocked, but pleased, that you got good advice from sources outside of this forum. These reptile stores are steering you the right way and you should listen. Everyone I know who attempts that species here has nothing but problems and very little success. N2TORTS is a rare exception, but he is successful because he has a lot of experience and he puts a tremendous amount of time, money and effort into doing it "right".

Any species can be kept anywhere in the world with enough time, effort and money, but some species are just more practical than others for some areas. RFs do best in the warm humid south. So do Aldabras. Sulcatas, leopards, Desert Tortoises and russians do well out here where we are. I'm just north of you in SCV.

Welcome to the forum. I hope we can help.

Ariel Perez

Palmdale, CA
Seriously thank you for the welcomes and hellos. Tom you really got me thinking king about your recommendation. Ideally, I chose the cherry head because of its size. I felt very comfortable with that and how nicely they interact with their environments. I was also interested because I'm from Santa Cruz bolivia. I thought it was awesome to find some native species. I'm going to have to do some more research in order to see what can fit my size prerequisite and can coexist with other tortoises in harmony. Also find a tortoise that doesn't hibernate much.

Ariel Perez

Palmdale, CA
Now that you mention it, it's no wonder the reptile stores around San Fernando Valley always have an abundance of leopard tortoises and sulcatas . It just makes sense since they have to meet the demand around these parts .

AnimalLady

Hello and welcome!
I have one Russian right now, he's my first tort and he's fairly easy to care for, you just have to know what is good for him and what isn't.
In a few days, I will be a tort mom to a gorgeous cherry head, and I am so excited.
I live in Miami, where its VERY humid and sticky! Redfoots thrive here, this was a major factor in me actually getting one.
It helps a lot when you have the forces of nature on your side :)

I personally think, if you do your research, and you don't mind putting in the time, work, money and dedication you can raise any tort. Like anything, if you set your mind to it, and you really learn your stuff, you'll get it.

Good luck!

Ariel Perez

Palmdale, CA
I'm shocked, but pleased, that you got good advice from sources outside of this forum. These reptile stores are steering you the right way and you should listen. Everyone I know who attempts that species here has nothing but problems and very little success. N2TORTS is a rare exception, but he is successful because he has a lot of experience and he puts a tremendous amount of time, money and effort into doing it "right".

Any species can be kept anywhere in the world with enough time, effort and money, but some species are just more practical than others for some areas. RFs do best in the warm humid south. So do Aldabras. Sulcatas, leopards, Desert Tortoises and russians do well out here where we are. I'm just north of you in SCV.

Welcome to the forum. I hope we can help.

Oh yeah you are right above where I'm at . What kind of tortoises do you have ??? And is n2torts located here in California as well ?? Does he breed cherry heads ???

Alaskamike

South Florida
For me the consideration has always been - inside or outside , size they get - and space I have dedicated.

I spent many years in a cold climate. Rescued many a tortoise from sorry conditions from well meaning people. Shipped them out to warm appropriate climates once reasonably healthy.

I am in South Florida now. Have desert species , South American , Madagascar , and box turtles.

All can do well here. As Tom said any tortoise can be raised anywhere but ...

Money / space / effort varies by location.

Torts live a long time , some get very large , it behooves us to plan for the future. I've talked many people out of a Sulcata for instance , knowing they live in apartments , or extremely cold climates and can't give up an entire room of their house.

Whatever you decide , take all into consideration , including what it will be like 10 years from now.

Good fortune & welcome :)

Ariel Perez

Palmdale, CA
For me the consideration has always been - inside or outside , size they get - and space I have dedicated.

I spent many years in a cold climate. Rescued many a tortoise from sorry conditions from well meaning people. Shipped them out to warm appropriate climates once reasonably healthy.

I am in South Florida now. Have desert species , South American , Madagascar , and box turtles.

All can do well here. As Tom said any tortoise can be raised anywhere but ...

Money / space / effort varies by location.

Torts live a long time , some get very large , it behooves us to plan for the future. I've talked many people out of a Sulcata for instance , knowing they live in apartments , or extremely cold climates and can't give up an entire room of their house.

Whatever you decide , take all into consideration , including what it will be like 10 years from now.

Good fortune & welcome :)

I love reading what you guys have to say, it's like reading a tortoise bible haha. Love the feedback guys. I think that is something to consider. With enough dedication, money , time , and some innovation. Maybe I could make it work. I love those cherry heads. The way they look, the way they interact, and their environment. I'm going to make the enclosure this weekend and start with the basics. I'm going to put some plants and cycle my lights for a week or so to observe temperature and humidity levels as if the tortoise was is inside. I'll follow up with results.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh yeah you are right above where I'm at . What kind of tortoises do you have ??? And is n2torts located here in California as well ?? Does he breed cherry heads ???

I keep sulcatas, South African leopards (These are a little different than "regular" leopards.), russians and stars. I start them all indoors in closed chambers, but eventually I move them outside with heated night boxes full time. Its when they move outside that the climate becomes a big factor.

Yes. JD (N2TORTS) is here in SoCal and yes he breeds Cherry heads. He would be a good one to ask what all would be involved in keeping cherry heads in our hot, dry climate. He can tell you how much effort and work he puts into it and you can decide if that is what you want to do. Me personally? I like it to be a little easier than that.

Ariel Perez

Palmdale, CA
I keep sulcatas, South African leopards (These are a little different than "regular" leopards.), russians and stars. I start them all indoors in closed chambers, but eventually I move them outside with heated night boxes full time. Its when they move outside that the climate becomes a big factor.

Yes. JD (N2TORTS) is here in SoCal and yes he breeds Cherry heads. He would be a good one to ask what all would be involved in keeping cherry heads in our hot, dry climate. He can tell you how much effort and work he puts into it and you can decide if that is what you want to do. Me personally? I like it to be a little easier than that.

Thanks for the advice Tom. Ill definitely message him to see what it takes. I keep pushing the whole red foot thing but I find them so fascinating. Definitely going to do more research.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the advice Tom. Ill definitely message him to see what it takes. I keep pushing the whole red foot thing but I find them so fascinating. Definitely going to do more research.

I understand. I really like them too and if I lived in FL or Louisiana I'd have a whole bunch of them. All different types.

I really like the manouria too, but our climate is just not right for them here. Way too dry and way too hot in the summer.

Ariel Perez

Palmdale, CA
I understand. I really like them too and if I lived in FL or Louisiana I'd have a whole bunch of them. All different types.

I really like the manouria too, but our climate is just not right for them here. Way too dry and way too hot in the summer.

You mentioned the south African leopard. What is the difference between that leopard vs the regular one ? Ive been reading about leopards and I'm liking them a lot.