Post hibernation issues

Marcushorsfield

Location (City and/or State)
Newbury
Thanks Tom.

I change the water. Constantly. It actually is her water bowl, doubling up. Like a big clipit style box? I didn't go bigger because I didn't think I could go that deep (I just cover her bottom shell). She's so lethargic that she just droops her head in the water and I didn't want her to drown.

Okay, hopefully I'll be messaging with some really great news toward the end of this week then when the new stuff starts to work!!

She drinks loads when I soak her. I'm doing it 6 days out of 7 at the moment. That video is the gulping I was talking about.
Tom,

She's had the new set up for a week now. She still won't eat 😔, but she is drinking A LOT and she has had an enormous poo (I know she shouldn't have had this in her for brumation), so im very grateful she is actually alive from the winter with that in her. She's, for the 1st time I've ever seen actually burying her head to drink, rather than just her beak. I'm hoping this is a good sign too. She also now is responsive to touching her shell. She has a little dance if you gently run your finger along her back (please let me know if this isn't nice for them, she's done it under water before where she's put herself under the tap (when we 1st got her someone said to bath her in the sink, I've since realised there are probably a lot of chemicals in my sink not good for her, so don't do this now)).

I've tried all sorts of weeds from her patch, but she just turns. Any tips or advice now? It's only just 15degrees here in the UK so I've still got her inside just under the lamps. She isn't moving much. She'll go about her body length one way or another, but even at night she just sleeps where ever she was. She is spending more time with all limbs and head stretched out. Again I'm not sure if this is because she's warming up or too weak....

Thanks for your reply

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Tom,

She's had the new set up for a week now. She still won't eat 😔, but she is drinking A LOT and she has had an enormous poo (I know she shouldn't have had this in her for brumation), so im very grateful she is actually alive from the winter with that in her. She's, for the 1st time I've ever seen actually burying her head to drink, rather than just her beak. I'm hoping this is a good sign too. She also now is responsive to touching her shell. She has a little dance if you gently run your finger along her back (please let me know if this isn't nice for them, she's done it under water before where she's put herself under the tap (when we 1st got her someone said to bath her in the sink, I've since realised there are probably a lot of chemicals in my sink not good for her, so don't do this now)).

I've tried all sorts of weeds from her patch, but she just turns. Any tips or advice now? It's only just 15degrees here in the UK so I've still got her inside just under the lamps. She isn't moving much. She'll go about her body length one way or another, but even at night she just sleeps where ever she was. She is spending more time with all limbs and head stretched out. Again I'm not sure if this is because she's warming up or too weak....

Thanks for your reply
Hello Annie - She is probably still recovering from her poo, and may have more to come, so she probably doesn't feel like eating - but the drinking sounds great ! She really does need to get well hydrated, and it takes time. A lot of tortoises like having the back of their shell tickled - there are videos of it somewhere on the forum, I think. Zola doesn't like it particularly, but he absolutely loves having his shell stroked for a long time - like half an hour or so, non-stop, preferably lying on my chest with his head near mine ! He has trained me to do this !
I think your little one is still adjusting to new things - it is important that she drinks, but she can do without food for quite a long time - and when she starts eating she will make up for lost time!
I don't think you should worry about that - and if you go to a vet, they will probably just want to give her vitamin injections,which is not a good idea. Make sure she is warm, and offer her food chopped up small, so it is less effort to eat it.
You will probably get better replies from people who know a lot more than me soon.
Angie

Marcushorsfield

Location (City and/or State)
Newbury
Hello Annie - She is probably still recovering from her poo, and may have more to come, so she probably doesn't feel like eating - but the drinking sounds great ! She really does need to get well hydrated, and it takes time. A lot of tortoises like having the back of their shell tickled - there are videos of it somewhere on the forum, I think. Zola doesn't like it particularly, but he absolutely loves having his shell stroked for a long time - like half an hour or so, non-stop, preferably lying on my chest with his head near mine ! He has trained me to do this !
I think your little one is still adjusting to new things - it is important that she drinks, but she can do without food for quite a long time - and when she starts eating she will make up for lost time!
I don't think you should worry about that - and if you go to a vet, they will probably just want to give her vitamin injections,which is not a good idea. Make sure she is warm, and offer her food chopped up small, so it is less effort to eat it.
You will probably get better replies from people who know a lot more than me soon.
Angie
Thanks Angie, good to know it's not just her. It's funny when she does a little dance!! X