Possibly constipated tortoise

Drago the red

Location (City and/or State)
Dousman
Hey,
So my red foot has been acting kind of off lately. Usually hes fairly active when I take him out and around his enclosure. Recently he just seems to want to sleep all the time and doesn't move about much. He hasn't been eating much as well, and has been hanging out in waterdish. Nothing else has changed, humidity is at 80% temps around 80 as well, with 30 minutes soaking daily. Im thinking maybe hes constipated? I haven't been seeing much poop lately so maybe hes backed up and thus doesn't want to eat/move. Any possible solutions for that or anything im overlooking would be most helpful. Or if maybe im just over reacting. Thank you so much!

Vintage

Toronto
I usually soak my tort for at least 45 minutes in "warmer than lukewarm" water. When the water cools, I change it right away. Often she doesn't poop until soak time is almost over. If he's hanging out in the water dish this may mean he needs longer or warmer soaks. Also, try feeding foods with more fiber, grated raw (or canned) pumpkin is a good example. If he's not eating much, try mixing in a bit of smelly fishy food like tuna, sardine or smelly shrimp fish food pellets. I was having similar problems with my tort, once I added some chopped grape tomatoes to her greens she cleaned her plate and is back to pooping normally (and eating it sometimes).

Skip K

Virginia
I feed all our torts only “wet” foods. Even the pelleted diets are soaked to help with hydration and keep things “moving along” in the digestive tract. I find that in the winter...when our torts are indoors...and not moving around as much as when it’s warm enough and they are in their large outdoor enclosures...their bowel movements slow down some from reduced activity. Usually a good soak in the tub gets results. I like using a bathtub because it involves not only a warm soaking but also allows the tort to be physically active and not just simply soak. Sometimes just letting them walk around the room for a couple minutes elicits a carpet clean-up. But for the most part...this usually isn’t necessary. Impaction has to be on the table as a possibility...but it’s just guessing as any other possible scenario.

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Another thing to think about is movement. Tortoises need to do a lot of walking in order to keep the digestive tract moving along.

Drago the red

Dousman
Hey just wanted to follow up so if anyone else sees this later. I ended up taking my tortoise to the vet the next day and found out he hasn't been eating, moving,pooping due to a respiratory infection. They gave him antibiotics and me critical care to give him. We did a few rounds of meds every few days and the vet and I thought he was getting better. However he passed away today. I just want to say thank you everyone for all the help and insight, I wish I could of done more for my little guy. He made me so happy while I had him and I tried my best to be the best tortoise daddy I could be. Anyway, I hope someone sees this thread and it helps

Chefdenoel10

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
New Jersey
Hey just wanted to follow up so if anyone else sees this later. I ended up taking my tortoise to the vet the next day and found out he hasn't been eating, moving,pooping due to a respiratory infection. They gave him antibiotics and me critical care to give him. We did a few rounds of meds every few days and the vet and I thought he was getting better. However he passed away today. I just want to say thank you everyone for all the help and insight, I wish I could of done more for my little guy. He made me so happy while I had him and I tried my best to be the best tortoise daddy I could be. Anyway, I hope someone sees this thread and it helps

oh my god!!!!
I am sooooo sorry for your loss!!!
May he Rest In Peace . He is in a better place now ... and you will see him later.
??????

Skip K

Virginia
Condolences...on your loss. Sadly one of the worst aspects of reptile keeping is their ability to hide illness till it has advanced to critical levels.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I’m so sorry for your loss.