Possible Pyramiding?

alexksquared

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, Ohio
Hello,

My Marginated (Arthur) is roughly 8 months? old. I bathe him 4-5 times a week. I can't tell if I am seeing early pyramiding or what. I have attached pictures for reference. His cage humidity is 80% in the basking, and 73%ish in the cool. I give me a mixed diet of approved greens (change up which ones every week). I use the calcium powder twice a week. The main bulb is the mercury vapor bulb. I check the humidity multiple times a day, but still worry about it. Any advice?

Attachments

• 20201027_161648.jpg
    20201027_161648.jpg
    834.4 KB · Views: 41
  • 20201027_161639.jpg
    20201027_161639.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • 20201027_161652.jpg
    20201027_161652.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hello,

My Marginated (Arthur) is roughly 8 months? old. I bathe him 4-5 times a week. I can't tell if I am seeing early pyramiding or what. I have attached pictures for reference. His cage humidity is 80% in the basking, and 73%ish in the cool. I give me a mixed diet of approved greens (change up which ones every week). I use the calcium powder twice a week. The main bulb is the mercury vapor bulb. I check the humidity multiple times a day, but still worry about it. Any advice?
So far, your tortoise looks fine. The other members here will very soon tell you to dump the MVB and get a fluorescent tube instead. Get a T5 in an Arcadia or Reptisun tube with 10.0 UVB output. Don't buy a coiled up one get the straight tube. They come in multiple lengths to fit many enclosure sizes.

alexksquared

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, Ohio
So far, your tortoise looks fine. The other members here will very soon tell you to dump the MVB and get a fluorescent tube instead. Get a T5 in an Arcadia or Reptisun tube with 10.0 UVB output. Don't buy a coiled up one get the straight tube. They come in multiple lengths to fit many enclosure sizes.

Thank you. I plan on getting rid of the MVB sooner than later. I'm going to build a bigger cage in the spring, that's when i'll use the fluorescent tube instead.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thank you. I plan on getting rid of the MVB sooner than later. I'm going to build a bigger cage in the spring, that's when i'll use the fluorescent tube instead.
Spring is 4-5 months from now. That is half the lifetime of your tortoise thus far. Keeping it under the wrong lighting for that long a time will be detrimental to its health and should concern you.