Possible Parasite?

Bullet2013

Last night I gave Bullet his daily soak bath, and after I put him back in his enclosure, I was watching him walk around when I noticed like a worm coming from his tail area climbing uo his shell. I immediately took him out and got the worm off of his back. I will describe it, it was black about 1/2 inch long, it moved like an inchworm not an earth worm. And it also like tried to go upright like it was trying to find something to attach to. I flushed it down the toilet to make sure its out of my house. The reason I am not 100% sure its a parasite because earlier in the day he was outside for some sun and fun, so I am not sure if he picked up something outside. Living in Florida, there are all kinds of bugs around here. Please tell me it is and what I need to do if anything....Kathy

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Switzerland
I really don't know if it was a parasite or not. To be sure I would get a stool sample and bring it to a vet to have it checked out.

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
If it was highly mobile and could walk/move in a controlled way, Than I don't think it was any kind of internal parasite.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
motero said:
If it was highly mobile and could walk/move in a controlled way, Than I don't think it was any kind of internal parasite.

You're probably right! :D

Still, a fecal test can't hurt, the tortoise doesn't even have to go to the vet personally.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sounds to me like a leach . If it was black and slimy about a half inch long and a eighth of a inch arould . Was the leading end sticking to the shell?

Bullet2013

It wasn't stuck to the shell, I took a napkin to push it off...I thought leaches only lived in water, the only water Bullet has been in is from his bath soaks..but now that you mention it, it did look like a leach, but where could he have gotten it? :tort:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Leaches can live out of water . They hang out on grass or low on bushes and wait on a hosts . As long as its humid they are on the move to find some blood .

Bullet2013

Good to know, thank you...anyway to check for them? I guess I got lucky that one was crawling on the shell and not inside his shell.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You should be able to see them . They just stick to the skin .