Possible for tortoise to over-supplement itself on calcium powder?

cecely

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
California
I started putting out a plate of powdered calcium (rep-cal without vitamin D) for my hermann's hatchling based on another member's post on here.

Thought I'd give it a try since I've never seen him use the cuttlebone pieces and I prefer the self-regulation method over putting the supplement in his food (a "pinch" is not a measurement I am comfortable with).

Anyways, as soon as I put the plate down, he immediately started munching away and was still going when I checked on him later.

It's been over a week now and he is constantly eating the powder and hanging out on the dish, which I know because he looks like Dave Chappelle's Tyrone character in the mornings and when I check on him later after his soak (for those unfamiliar, think insufflation of illegal substances).

So, my question is--is this behavior an indication of some serious deficiency in his current diet? Also, is it possible that he is attracted to something about the powdered calcium that is unrelated to his actual needs and may potentially cause harm?

I have been feeding him fresh dandelion, mallow, escarole, chicory, squash leaves, turnip tops and clovers. I also dust the greens with dried thistle, plantain, chickweed, etc.

P.s. Sorry about the verbosity. This is my second post and I am still figuring out how much or little information to provide.

cecely

5 Year Member
California
Sorry, forgot to include that the aforementioned greens (except the clover and chicory) are store bought produce. So, although they are not of the "typical" grocery store variety, the lower fiber and calcium levels thing may be significant.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I've not been as concerned with "pinch" as yourself, but certainly appreciate conservative husbandry. I add calcium directly to the diet almost daily, but calcium without the D3. They do get D3 daily in their actual food rations from Laynea chicken layer crumbles and sometimes tortoise pellets.

Ask any two vets, even reptile vets and you'll get two different answers on calcium over consumption. As long as your tortoise is well hydrated and has access to water, the extra calcium will just get pooped out.