Possible Adoption, Bad idea??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
get_imageasp.jpg

This little guy was found roaming the hills and was taken to the animal services. No one has claimed a lost tortoise, so she is available today for adoption. I have not physically seen her. Do you think it would be a problem to adopt this little gal if I have little experience with Sulcatas??

katesgoey

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi,

What a nice sully! I think only you can answer your own question, but here is a rescue website that will give you things to consider about adopting a Sulcata. Imagine this one all grown up and the issues in this article, then if you have the room and still wanna adopt, at least you will go into it knowing what to expect. Here's the article link:
http://www.turtlerescues.com/sulcata_challenge.htm

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Just remember that they grow BIG!!!

And its too small to tell if its female or male. There are many more males than there are females, so chances are pretty good its a male.

Yvonne

Sudhira

5 Year Member
We have a couple acres and could easily make a yard for the Sulcata. Winter worries me, Iwill read up on Wintering them outdoors and what is necessary. Can you believe no one is claiming this lovely being?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its not that hard to keep them warm in the winter. Here's a picture of Dudley's Duplex:

Dudleysduplex.jpg

It is a 2x4 frame with insulation then plywood on both the outside and the inside. I have a horse stall mat on the floor.

Dudleysshed-7.jpg

Then I hung a light fixture with a black bulb (or you can use a ceramic heat emitter) and laid a pig blanket down on the floor:

Dudleysshed-9.jpg

Or, if you have a nicely insulated shed, here's what Maggie did for Bob:

http://tortoiseforum.org/thread-9074.html

Some folks keep them in the garage in a "stall" and some keep them in the basement in a "stall."

Its just a matter of you figuring out how you can keep the tortoise warm enough to stay healthy. Not on a cement floor.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

Sulcata in one respect are trouble, but in another they are full of personality and fun and I wouldn't give up Bob or the problems he's created for anything. I think that Sulcata have more personality then any other species. But you have to get them set up correctly and keep them warm in the cold weather. Right now it is 63 degrees and raining here and Bob is mad that he can't go out...so I will open his doggie door soon and he will go out and graze in the rain and go back in to warm up. He's smart too. Be prepared for that.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I say if you can house them when they are fully grown, then go for it. Sully's are a great species to have if you have the room. but check out that site about their needs before you commit to something that big.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
Sulcata in one respect are trouble, but in another they are full of personality and fun and I wouldn't give up Bob or the problems he's created for anything. I think that Sulcata have more personality then any other species. But you have to get them set up correctly and keep them warm in the cold weather. Right now it is 63 degrees and raining here and Bob is mad that he can't go out...so I will open his doggie door soon and he will go out and graze in the rain and go back in to warm up. He's smart too. Be prepared for that.
That is so cute & good to know. I would really like to adopt this Sulcata, but I would really want to be totally prepared. I am going to speak with the animal services people and make sure they don't adopt it out to just anyone...I did notify CTTC Silicon Valley, a fellow is interested, we'll see.

jobeanator

10 Year Member!
northern new york
just defently make sure you have ALOT of room for him to roam. from what ive seen excerise is vital for sulcatas. basically my whole backyard is dedicated to my sulcatas to roam in the summer time. during winter time i have one in a kiddie pool and the others in tortoise tables ive built. make sure your ready to keep one! there great pets !

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I have pasture and a 60x100 fenced in pen for two large ones. Also consider your electric bill will go up in the winter and if you live where you lose power, you will need a back up.

Sudhira

5 Year Member
I am going to match this Sulcata up with a god home,I am not prepared! Think I will just wait to adopt a CDT...

Thanks folks!

Sudhira

5 Year Member
I live on the central coast California. We have pretty mild Winters and rarely freeze. Still, one never knows about the weather. There is a woman I have heard about who lives in the next valley over whom I have heard has 2 Sulcata. I would like to talk with her, but have not yet found her name!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Contact someone in the TooSlo Chapter of CTTC. Most of those folks are in San Luis Obispo, Atascadero and they probably know folks who want sulcatas.

Bob Thomas - 805 481-5222

Yvonne

Sudhira

5 Year Member
I had contacted CTTC Silicon Valley which is closer to us. Someone had already adopted the tort...oh well...maybe next time. Hope it went to a proper home.

Status
Not open for further replies.