Podocnemis unifilis care

catcher443

5 Year Member
I was wondering if anyone had any care tips for podocnemis unifilis? Also how early do they reach sexual maturity? Any info is helpful. Thanks.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
They are a great species. Very hardy, in my experience. I kept them in acidic, clean water. Keep them warm, and give them ample opportunity to bask. How large are your animals?

catcher443

5 Year Member
I haven't purchased yet, but they would be about 4in shell length. They seem like a very cool species to work with.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
They are a great species. Very hardy, in my experience. I kept them in acidic, clean water. Keep them warm, and give them ample opportunity to bask. How large are your animals?

Are they doing good in clear water? I ask this because they live in the South American rivers where the water is normally unclear...?

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
clean and clear are two different things. I went with, and would go with water stained by tannins, just like a South American river or tributary would be. Yo can accomplish this by adding driftwood, peat moss and or oak logs/leaves to the water. This stains the water a tea color and also makes the water more acidic. I find it helpful for a multitude of species that can suffer from fungal issues, along with salt.