Pneumonia HELP!

Russian Rehab

Location (City and/or State)
ma
My Russian has Pneumonia. he just spent 2 days in the animal hospital getting fluids and antibiotics. today he got his second dose of antibiotic and he is breathing really badly. I have him warm and im soaking daily. he is not eating very much and he is gasping for air alot. is there anything else i can be doing to keep him comfy and help him while we wait for the meds to really kick in?

im so worry
nina

wellington

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Keep him at 85 day and night and still provide a basking spot. Don't let him get cold. You could add some piedialyte to the soaks. Good luck hope all turns out well. Others might have more suggestions.

Diamond

phoenix,az
Try running a humidifier to keep any mucous thinned. Pneumonia can cause thick mucous in the lungs making breathing difficult.

Russian Rehab

ma
how warm are you keeping him ?
his table has basking spots at 90 and cooler spots down but 75-80. He always chooses the cooler spots and i dont know why! I have been keeping a heat only lamp on at night since he cam home to make sure he stays around 80 ish. does that sound too cool?

Russian Rehab

ma
Keep him at 85 day and night and still provide a basking spot. Don't let him get cold. You could add some piedialyte to the soaks. Good luck hope all turns out well. Others might have more suggestions.
do you know how much pedialight for a bath? and flavor? how long should i do that for? untill he starts eating better?

mark1

ohio
80-85 would be ideal with anything I've kept ……..a sick animal is going to want to hide regardless of temperature , too hot is as bad as too cold …keep up the humidity ….. never tried it , but those baby food carrot soaks can't be harmful and would obviously be helpful if the tortoise drank some , same with pedialite as long as he'll drink it ……… what antibiotic did they give you ? injectable ? if not go get injectable , it's the only way to properly dose the animal ………. he may not improve for 10 days , but he shouldn't really be getting any worse after a second dose …..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can go to the Pharmacy and buy a squirt bottle of sterile saline solution (you find it with the contact lens stuff) then firmly squirt it up each nostril. This will help clear out the nose so he can breath without having to gasp. Don't worry about getting the solution in his lungs, because the other end of the nares is in the roof of his mouth, not down into his lungs.