Plums an fruit

Status
Not open for further replies.

redfootraider

5 Year Member
Was wondering wen I feed my tortoise plums or mangos or other fruit that has an outer part of fruit am I suppose to peel it or just feed it to him like that?

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
I never peal the plums for my Cherries. They LOVE plums. I do peel the mangos but that's because I'm eating them too. I don't think you have to peel them.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR
I don't peel anything,whether its mango,cantaloupe ,or bananas.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
In most fruits, the rinds or skins have a lot of nutrients we foolishly remove and toss- and often there is no real reason to other than our thinking they are not as tasty.

I generally only remove skins or rinds for the little ones, and break it open- but do not remove it- for yearlings and such. Big'uns need the exercise!

Katherine

5 Year Member
I always wash but never peel. If giving non organic store-bought food I may consider peeling foods where you yourself wouldn't normally eat the skin/rind/etc. Many commercial food growers use pesticides/sprays/soil additives and do so knowing what parts of the plant will and won't be consumed so store bought non organic produce may have higher concentrations of chemicals in things like skin and rind. Shame too since as someone pointed out these are often the most nutritious parts. Just another reason to grow at home : )

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
there isnt someone peeling thier fruit for them in the wild..
and like mentioned.. most of the good stuff is in the peel!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
redfootraider said:
What about when they r still a hatchling?

I recently gave my two hatchlings (~5 months old) a bit of kiwi. I Left the skin on, but cut things into small cubes so they could eat it easily enough. I wanted most of the kiwi, which meant I didn't want to put the whole thing in there for them to figure out.

Cut it up a bit for your hatchling(s), but leave the skin on.

redfootraider

5 Year Member
Redstrike said:
I recently gave my two hatchlings (~5 months old) a bit of kiwi. I Left the skin on, but cut things into small cubes so they could eat it easily enough. I wanted most of the kiwi, which meant I didn't want to put the whole thing in there for them to figure out.

What other fruit do u feed your tortoise? U have a red foot correct?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
redfootraider said:
Redstrike said:

What other fruit do u feed your tortoise? U have a red foot correct?

There's a fantastic list of grocery store items here:
https://sites.google.com/site/tortoiselibrary/nutrition/shopping-list

Papaya is one of the best. It has low sugar content, anti-worm properties, and a number of digestive enzymes. I'll add that I only feed fruit sparingly to my two cherryheads (roughly once per week, sometimes once every 2 weeks) and only in quantities about the size of their heads.

Status
Not open for further replies.