Status
Not open for further replies.

Benjamin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
zone 7b
Radiated said:
Hi,
I have a small ploughshare tortoise, not sure what substrate to use.
In this youtube clip i see that they are on sand/soil. is that good?
I currently use a mix of 60/40 coco husk/red sand or soil like shown in video.
Is that ok for ploughshare and radiated tortoises?
Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1jmeLopcZM&feature=related

Why do you have this tortoise? You are directly causing the rapid extinction of the species through your greed!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Benjamin is correct. ONLY BUY ENDANGERED SPECIES TO BREED THEM!!! The ploughshare tortoise is under intense threat in the wild and it's habitat is decreasing. You're not doing anything to help improve the situation. And how you say for "ploughshares and radiateds", do you mean you plan on keeping them together?!

Radiated

5 Year Member
Well the tortoise was nearly dead. It was so weak that the previouse owner was going to get rid of it so I decided to adopt it....
Basically they didn't want to keep it alive anymore. It was in a small terrarium with large sulcatas.
Now it's perfectly healthy like a normal ploughshare.

So now can u all pls help me with the substrate problem?

Thanks

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
First of all, if it's nearly dead you should get it to a vet ASAP. For a critically endangered species like the ploughshare, every tortoise is vital. Meanwhile, focus on keeping it warm (32C basking spot, 28C ambient air), feed it what you would feed your radiated tortoise, DO NOT mix (death sentence for a tortoise in this stage), and prevent stress. A water dish for hydration is important, as are calcium and D3 supplements for every meal. Keep it on a substrate of 60/40 play sand and topsoil, and keep the humidity in the enclosure high. The natural habitat of the ploughshare is high in humidity due to it being so close to the ocean and the fact that there are various estuaries surrounding the deciduous scrub and bamboo forests in which it inhabits. Keep us updated on this.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Thanks
I keep it on 60/40 mix of Eco earth(easier for humidity and to stop insect eggs and things) the other part I use the red hard soil like in the video. I have a few small bamboo shrubs and a Alluaudia plant from madagascar for this tortoise.
Is that Ok if I have these plants?
Is thee substrate mix ok? Or should I add more red soil?

I will post some pics soon.

Thanks

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Your substrate and plants are good for now. Forget about red soil, get him to a vet. Immediately. It would save you and the tortoise alot of worries and trouble.

Radiated

5 Year Member
Did already when I got him/her
They said there's nothing wrong with it! All good

Radiated

5 Year Member
Does there have to be something wrong with every animal?
Why is that trash talk?

Bow

5 Year Member
British Columbia
Radiated said:
Hi,
I have a small ploughshare tortoise, not sure what substrate to use.
In this youtube clip i see that they are on sand/soil. is that good?
I currently use a mix of 60/40 coco husk/red sand or soil like shown in video.
Is that ok for ploughshare and radiated tortoises?
Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1jmeLopcZM&feature=related

Congratulations on the tortoise :) Hopefully at some point you'll find him/her a lovely partner and the can propagate like their species depends on it! I'm absolutely no help with care for ploughshare tortoises, but good job rescuing him/her!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Radiated said:
Does there have to be something wrong with every animal?
Why is that trash talk?

If that's the same tortoise you were talking about in the other thread, then yes, there's definitely something wrong with it. Your radiateds are fine (very beautiful in fact :)) but that ploughshare needs treatment immediately. Do you have any other reptile vets in your area? Sorry for the previous mean comments. Just concerned for the conservation of species.

Radiated

5 Year Member
If that's the same tortoise you were talking about in the other thread, then yes, there's definitely something wrong with it. Your radiateds are fine (very beautiful in fact :)) but that ploughshare needs treatment immediately. Do you have any other reptile vets in your area? Sorry for the previous mean comments. Just concerned for the conservation of species.

[/quote]

Those weren't mine :p
Got them off a chinese website. The two rad's eating bamboo thread were mine :)

BTW i am interested in what species you have?

Status
Not open for further replies.