Ploughshare and Radiated in China.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Cool. Well hopefully he has enough room in years to come for that galap. They need lots of room to walk and develop properly.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Cool. Well hopefully he has enough room in years to come for that galap. They need lots of room to walk and develop properly.
That going to be a tough one. Most of people lives in high rise apartments, space is a big issue. large torts like Sulcata, Aldabre, and Galop all suffer from lack of space. Only in the past 10, 15 years, Chinese start to collecting Tortoise as pet, Not many Aldabre or Sulcata grow to the side that become a issue both for the owner and torts, but soon...

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Too bad. I must then, I feel sorry for that little galap in 5-8 years from now when it will really need a large grassy area. Hopefully most Chinese nationals donate or relocate those big guys to zoos or institutions at least.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Too bad. I must then, I feel sorry for that little galap in 5-8 years from now when it will really need a large grassy area. Hopefully most Chinese nationals donate or relocate those big guys to zoos or institutions at least.[/QUOT

It is a very sad reality in China. People love the fame and the bragging right of owning a such large tortoise. Very few Sulcata or Aldabra owner have their own land or yard. I saw picture of people post in some forum showing those torts live in the indoor enclosure not much larger then the torts itself. Or numbers of torts or different species of torts all in one small enclosure.

It is totally illegal to trade, to sale, to purchase, to own any Tortoise in China but it is a such large demand in China, Large amount of torts of any species imported into this market by underwater channel. No wealth proofed package, no separation between species some time. Horrible condition. That also caused lots sick torts been sold to the collector or hobbyist. Death rate always high.

They have limited zoo that can accept surrendered large torts. Institution or conservation group for torts can never get permit to form.

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
This my reply why become part of tortadise's??
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is a very sad reality in China. People love the fame and the bragging right of owning a such large tortoise. Very few Sulcata or Aldabra owner have their own land or yard. I saw picture of people post in some forum showing those torts live in the indoor enclosure not much larger then the torts itself. Or numbers of torts or different species of torts all in one small enclosure.

It is totally illegal to trade, to sale, to purchase, to own any Tortoise in China but it is a such large demand in China, Large amount of torts of any species imported into this market by underwater channel. No wealth proofed package, no separation between species some time. Horrible condition. That also caused lots sick torts been sold to the collector or hobbyist. Death rate always high.

They have limited zoo that can accept surrendered large torts. Institution or conservation group for torts can never get permit to form.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
That is very sad to hear. Especially in 10-15 (if not sooner) years from now when the ploushare will more than likely be extinct in the wild.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Ha. I can never miss a little guy like that. Tyrone's long lost brother from another mother.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Wow, Bouaboua! Thanks for all the pics! Amazing, if in very controversial circumstances.