Please write to Petco

Status
Not open for further replies.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Middle of nowhere
At Petco, the Russian tortoises are fed what looks like fruity flavored box turtle pellets (actually sold for box turrtles in the store) that they rarely eat. When they won't eat these, it is mixed with a tiny bit of Romaine lettuce and they eat it right up. However, there are currently three semi-adult Russians at this particular store that all together get about half as much greens as my Hermann's hatchling gets a day. I asked a manager why they are feeding them what looks like box turtle food, and if they can feed them a bigger variety. He said that he doesn't really know what kind of food it is but it is what we are sent and that is the only thing they are allowed to feed the Russian tortoises along with the romaine lettuce, so I assume it is the same story at other Petcos.

If everyone could send an email to Petco's headquarters, I'm hoping I can get this changed. I don't think hostility will work, but good old consumer concern and knowledge.

I know that they live in cramped conditions with sub-par care anyways, but the fact that they are getting box turtle food and are practically being starved is something that I am hoping we can fix.

Here's where you can leave comments and questions about their companion animal department:
http://www.petco.com/content/contactsubtopic.aspx?PC=contactanimalcare#top

crocididdle

5 Year Member
Michigan!
"Thank you for contacting us.

Your email has been received and you will receive a response shortly."

i did!

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I sent a letter too.

You are right- this is the case for most Petcos and even Petsmart. I have a friend that works for the animals at Petsmart and use to work at Petco and he has sent numerous letters and complaints. He is going to school to be a vet tech and works there since he loves animals but he's always been heartbroken about it. (I know he secretly feeds them more romaine shh:))
The food he gives at Pets mart is called fruit melody pellets. I'm not sure the brand. Mixed with romaine. And yes it is hardly anything. I wrote a letter to Petsmart before and meant to write to Petco but kept forgetting. Thanks for the reminder.

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Fruit melody pellets? Sounds sort of like fruit loops. Thanks guys! I hope enough people contact them so that they will eventually change how things get done.

Status
Not open for further replies.