Please meet the new addition to my family. :)

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Marley2.JPG Marley1.JPG

This is Marley. He is an older Chihuahua that was found wandering with a serious eye injury. The eye had to be removed by the shelter veterinarian. The shelter vet guesses his age at 8 to 9 years old. Marley sees my own vet on Tuesday so we will find out what her opinion is on his age.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I also have a Chihuahua. Nasty little thing but I love him. (He's loving towards me only.) Luckily yours wasn't mean too or he wouldn't have been adopted out.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I also have a Chihuahua. Nasty little thing but I love him. (He's loving towards me only.) Luckily yours wasn't mean too or he wouldn't have been adopted out.
No, he's quite a sweet guy. I used to foster small dogs and during that time fostered two chi's. They were both sweet as well. No Chihuahua loves strangers though! Marley warmed up to us in minutes at the shelter.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very nice. He doesn't look too old in the pictures. I love it when people can find it in their hearts to adopt other than a pup.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Awe, sweet thing.

Growing up, We had to remove an injured eye from our min pin. She was about that age (8 or 9) and the poor thing went into serious depression..it was tough for a while but she eventually bounced back..sort of.

Your chi's surgery was recent right? Hopefully he transitions to the change easier than our dog did.

Do you have other dogs? How is he fitting into the pack?

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
How sweet of you to adopt this dog. Some people might not consider him with the missing eye. We have a dachshund-chihuahua mix that had been a stray previously. She was hiding under cars & under bushes.
She has always been a very loving & appreciative dog.
Also, sadly she knows what its like to have missed a meal.
They know when they are treated well.
The "chihuahua thing" our dog was quiet and didnt bark for about one month. Then she found her voice.
She's a happy girl who loves to bark at the birds and the
neighbors of course.
When we used to have family over...she would be fine if your sitting down but for some reason she would try to "herd" only ladies
wearing sandals ! She tries to lightly nibble at their toes.
She stopped doing that finally. I think shes too old now !
We love her to pieces, chihuahua and all.
Your little guy is a lucky boy and I'm sure he will repay you with lots of joy.

sunshyne621

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422580298.582881.jpg
This is my little chi-mix, most likely with Yorkie. Adopted her from a rescue this past summer. She definitely has the chihuahua trait of barking, but also got the chi clown trait. She is an absolute delight. Congrats on your new adoptee!!!

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Thanks for all the stories and pictures!! Marley sees my own vet on Tuesday and we will see what her opinion is on his age. But really, chi's live so long that 8 or 9 is not all that old anyway. Marley is feeling very at home. He is very playful, loves toys and likes to chew on blankets....lol. Yes, his eye surgery was on December 30, so quite recent. He seems to be very happy here. I do have another dog. A shih Tzu - complete opposite of chi's!! To a shih Tzu everyone is a potential best friend!! The first few days were kind of rough, but yesterday the two of them started to play together!! I was happy about that.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
gizmomarley.jpg steveandmarley.jpg

In the first pic you can see Marley and my shih Tzu, Gizmo on the back of the couch. The second pic is Marley sitting on my husbands lap at the shelter the day we adopted him.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Awwww...congrats! What a nice looking dog! And love the sweater dog shirt you put on him! He's going to be very happy being in a loving home, your awesome for getting him. Many others would have probably not adopted due to his eye!!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sweet of you to take him in. I much prefer adopting older dogs myself. I never liked Chihuahuas until a couple of years ago, when I was given one from a puppy mill. I know have three. They never fail to speak their minds or take on critters bigger then themselves, I love that about them. May not like their mouths at times, or dislike of strangers, and one is this skinny shakey thing which isn't what I would like, but dang those guys worm their way into your heart.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Sweet of you to take him in. I much prefer adopting older dogs myself. I never liked Chihuahuas until a couple of years ago, when I was given one from a puppy mill. I know have three. They never fail to speak their minds or take on critters bigger then themselves, I love that about them. May not like their mouths at times, or dislike of strangers, and one is this skinny shakey thing which isn't what I would like, but dang those guys worm their way into your heart.
Exactly! I was a big dog person all my life. Until I wanted to foster dogs and my own big dog only liked small dogs. I had to foster for a small dog rescue and found out I bawled every time a Chihuahua foster got adopted. I always end up with such a strong bond with the chi's.

My big dog passed from lymphoma back in October. So now I have my shih Tzu (dumped here by his original family when he was 7 months old) and this little Chihuahua boy. Funny how this formerly big dog person now lives with a shih Tzu and a Chihuahua!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think you may have downsized in terms of dog body size, but upsized in way of opening your heart. ;)

Heather H

N.E. ohio
Exactly! I was a big dog person all my life. Until I wanted to foster dogs and my own big dog only liked small dogs. I had to foster for a small dog rescue and found out I bawled every time a Chihuahua foster got adopted. I always end up with such a strong bond with the chi's.

My big dog passed from lymphoma back in October. So now I have my shih Tzu (dumped here by his original family when he was 7 months old) and this little Chihuahua boy. Funny how this formerly big dog person now lives with a shih Tzu and a Chihuahua!
So cute. Where did you adopt from. My 4 furry-family babies are from rescue village.