Please look at the pictures and tell me what this is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mandeville, Louisiana
Yesterday I saw a chalky substance in our yard and thought it just kind of looked out of place and hoped it wasn't something my sulcatas had passed, well today I went to scoop the poop out of their pen and there was more there which means it's DEFINATELY one or both of them is passing. PLEASEEEEEEEEE tell me that it's normal.

This is what I'm talking about

image-3272500173.png

I am really worried about this!!!!

Attachments

• image-2652812095.png
    image-2652812095.png
    312.1 KB · Views: 103

jesst

5 Year Member
Florida
TheTortoiseWhisperer said:
Yesterday I saw a chalky substance in our yard and thought it just kind of looked out of place and hoped it wasn't something my sulcatas had passed, well today I went to scoop the poop out of their pen and there was more there which means it's DEFINATELY one or both of them is passing. PLEASEEEEEEEEE tell me that it's normal.

This is what I'm talking about

I am really worried about this!!!!

From the pics it looks like urates which are normal.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Stop worrying and check out the "My tortoise just pooped some white stuff" sticky:)

Creedence

5 Year Member
Sacramento, CA
Urates. There's a thread on the homepage called "Help! My tortoise just pooped white stuff!" that should explain it better than I can ;P I'd link it, but I'm on my phone haha. Wait for other's to chime in. In my understanding it's normal so long as they aren't hard. Increase soakings will help. Again, I'm literally a complete noob, haha. Good luck :)

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm going to guess this is urine rather than feces. From what I have read they pass urates from the bladder which results in the white substance. I'm no expert though haha.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That's a good sign you might need to soak a bit more often too.

TheTortoiseWhisperer

5 Year Member
Mandeville, Louisiana
Tom said:
That's a good sign you might need to soak a bit more often too.

Thank you you guys soooooo much for easing my mind…..I have no idea how anyone can raise a tortoise without coming to this forum. I asked the question and literally within the first minute I had a response……I don't know why but I assumed soaking was only for hatchlings and babies, apparently it's something I have to do throughout their lives, so can you all give me ideas of how to set something up for when they get too big to carry……AGAIN, THANK YOU ALL VERYYYYYYYYY MUCH!!!!!!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If I were you, I would build a shallow pond that you could coax them into with their favorite treat.

tiff3grl

10 Year Member!
Arizona
A baby pool works good.....that's what I have used for my two big guys :)

Status
Not open for further replies.