White albumin type excrement at same time as poopin in the soak

Obbie

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Mali is doing good, eats well, poops good. This egg white stuff comes out (it’s A LOT !). It doesn’t float, if she poops outside of her soak, the white stuff maybe comes out of her bladder ? So I clean up after her right away, that white stuff dries almost immediately and literally looks and consistency is chalky. Any ideas ?

Attachments

• 9B3B6DA3-F01C-4047-92FB-0DAD54DCC01E.jpeg
    9B3B6DA3-F01C-4047-92FB-0DAD54DCC01E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Is this similar to what you're seeing?
Reptile-poop11.png

If so, it's known as "urates". This is common with feeding the wrong types of foods (such as those high in oxalic acid) and dehydration. What kinds of food have you been giving it? Does it have access to enough drinking water? How often do you soak it?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Here you go -

White Tortoise Feces
BY MARGARET A. WISSMAN, DVM, DABVP

A. I think it’s time for you to have a lesson in scatology (the study of feces, poop, doo-doo or excrement). I don’t know how long you have owned your tortoise, or if you have been observing its droppings for long, so I will start by giving you the basics on tortoise feces.

The normal feces of a tortoise consists of fecal material. This usually appears as an odiferous formed mass consisting of the end products of digestion. The color, consistency and volume of the feces will vary depending on what the tortoise is ingesting. But for the most part, the feces will be brown or greenish-brown.

Tortoises also produce urine and urates. Urine is the liquid portion stored in the urinary bladder. Urine contains waste products and toxins that are filtered from the bloodstream. Reptiles also have one more type of excretion product, called urates or uric acid. This is the end product of protein digestion and is also stored in the urinary bladder as a creamy, off-white pasty semi-solid. In reptiles, uric acid is cleared from the bloodstream by the kidneys. When the tortoise urinates, it will pass the liquid urine and the semi-solid urates at the same time. A tortoise may urinate and defecate at the same time, which may leave urate deposits on the fecal material. This will make the feces appear as if it is white or off-white. I suspect that is what you are seeing.

Another possible explanation is that the tortoise feces are old and sun-bleached; as that can cause feces to appear whitish over time (although I don’t think this is what you are observing).

A tortoise may urinate or defecate independently of one another, but as I said, both liquid and solid are often passed simultaneously. I suspect that you are seeing urates being deposited on the feces being passed by your tortoise.

Source - http://www.reptilesmagazine.com/Turtles-Tortoises/Turtle-Care/White-Tortoise-Feces/