PLEASE HELP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crybaby

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello, I was wondering if you could help me!!!! I have a five year old sulcata. We have had him since he was one. He has a heat lamp and UVB light and a big enough cage to roam around in. I am VERY picky about where I get his grass and weeds from. I try to never pick from any area that might have pesticides or animal droppings on it. He is given a bath almost every day, or every other day. He soaks about 10 minutes. We have never wormed him or had any trouble with him. I did not look at him yesterday. Today I picked some dandelions for him and when my daughter gave them to him she said, "I have never seen Albert sleep that long" I jokingly asked if he was dead. She laughed and said no. I went to get him tonight for his soak and he was pretty lifeless. He would not open his eyes and was pretty non responsive. He was warm, his shell is nice and hard, his nostrils are open and clear. He seems to be breathing ok. I did notice he looked a little prolapsy in the rear. I have NEVER seen it stick out like that before. It wasn't bad at all, just a little puffy. When I pushed around on it, he/she peed. It looked normal. I did go ahead and soak him in some warm water, he did open his eyes and tried to move. I placed him back in his house and he is now laying there again, eyes closed, like I found him. We have no reptile vets in our area. We live in a very remote area. I actually had to tell a vet what dosage another sulcata of ours needed for an antibiotic once. ANY help would be appreciated. The only thing I can think of is where he was a little pouchy in his anus area, if that's what it's called in a tortoise, was pale. I wasn't sure if it should be pink???? My only guess is worms but I can't image it would hit this quit. Any info you have, PLEASE send it on. THANK YOU!!!!!!!! Oh, I've never seen any worms in his poop. Thanks!! OH, I'm new, have never used this before, don't know how this works, my email is [email protected] if you need it. ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED!!!! THANK YOU!!

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
If youcould post some pictures of his vent area it might help. We have quite few sulcatta owners here and they may be able to help.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
try calling some of the tort rescue people on the internet if no one on here responds in the next few hours.

Coldliz

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Im not an expert but I have heard around the forum that you can feed them pumpkin to help with worms. Do a search for pumpkin here and see what you can find. Its not a cure for worms but it could help. Good luck, I hope he/she is alright.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
:( OMG, the poor little guy! It sounds like it could be rectal prolapse. I don't think its extremely common, but it isn't uncommon with certain species of torts....not sure about sulcatas. Have you found any help yet?? Keep us informed!

crybaby

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
100_8202.JPG100_8203.JPG100_8204.JPG

He/she seems the same this morning, eyes are open though. I'm uploading some photos. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Hi,
It's not a prolapse, but if it was than yes it would be pink. It looks like a cloacal infection to me. Keep the area washed and clean and apply a triple antibiotic everyday. The area may stay like that for the rest of his life as I have a female Greek tortoise that had this problem. Her cloaca has never really gone down after the infection and it's been 6 years now. She's just fine though. :D

Danny[/u]

crybaby

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
UPDATE...I took him to my horse vet. The only one around. He has never treated a turtle or tortoise. Stool sample was parasite free. He did have a very high level of bacteria in his urine, so he started him on flagyl, 50mg daily for 5 days. I hope this helps. Thanks for the replies!!

Status
Not open for further replies.