please help (two babies, one not eating)

i have two sulcata baby torts and one is growing faster than the other and the smaller one is starting to avoid the big one one and wont eat if the big one is eating and im not sure if this is a problem or not btw they are only 4 months old

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
This is why people don't recommend keeping pairs together. You need separate enclosures. Your smaller tortoise is being bullied and will not thrive if you allow this to continue.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
your only option is to separate them the bigger one is bullying the smaller one plain and simple

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I totally agree with the what came above: you have to separate them asap. ;) Torts do not like/need company. Bullying could begin any minute and on could harm/hurt the other, GOD forbid. :rolleyes:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That's probably due to what I call "Mental Bullying." Tortoises communicate. Whether we see it or not, they communicate. The active tortoise is telling the less active tortoise to get out of the territory. But where's he to go? He's stuck there. So his only option is to make himself less obvious. He hides. He stops eating. He tries to stay out of the other tortoise's way.