Please help! Sick sulcata.

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger16

5 Year Member
So my sulcata hatchling, Tokka that I have had for a few months now, suddenly started becoming very inactive about 2 weeks ago. Then I noticed its shell starting to soften (top and bottom). Then it's eyes start to swell shut. It is no longer even attempting to eat. It doesn't move from wherever I place it after a soak now. My other sulcata hatchling is doing wonderfully, so I don't understand what's going on. Tank temp is between 80-100, with a basking spot around 110. I have a humid hide spot for it, but it never uses it. It starts moving around when I soak it and it really struggles to open its eyes, even with water and a little help, and once it's done soaking, its eyes shut right back up and dont open again until the next soak. And once I place it back in its tank, it pretty much just collapses wherever I place it. I've read about possible calcium deficiency, but I was adding calcium to their food every other day, and as I said my other sulcata is doing great. I did switch from powder form calcium to a liquid spray about a month ago. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. Although at this point I can't get it to eat anything so it doesn't matter now. I feel really bad for the little guy, and I don't want it to be suffering. Please help me out. Thanks.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
so sorry.. but it doenst sound good for your little one.. did you get them at the same time from the same breeder?
SOmetimes there are some that just fail to thrive. Sometimes, its husbandry and things need to change.. check your other baby really thouroughly.. they can hide illness real well until they just cant anymore...
is it possible that the stonger one is getting all the food?
what kind of lights do you have? diet? sunlight???

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It would help us a lot to know your set up to better help you. Tell us everything about it. Substrate, lighting bulbs using, etc, humidity levels etc. You can give the little guy baby food soaks, to get some nutrient into him. Baby food carrots, put it into his warm soaking water. I would also make a call to a vet and get him in. Hopefully more will come on with more advice.
Good luck:D

badger16

5 Year Member
The stronger one is not getting all the food. I feed them plenty to make sure of it. The healthy one doesn't bully at all. It doesn't get much sunlight because it's too cold outside right now, but I have a 4 foot UVB 10.0 fluorescent bulb running the length of the enclosure. They get a good variety of greens. Spring mix, collards, dandelion, mustards...I get some muzuri mixed in, occasional fruit, carrots, mushrooms. It's like 90% greens usually though. I give them a little hard boiled egg about once a month...I'm kind of stumped to be honest with you. And it just seems to be getting worse and worse. :( it hasn't eaten in like a week now. I tried to force feed it, but I can't get it's mouth open. It's too small and weak, so any attempt to get its mouth open is just pushing its head back into its shell, and it makes me feel horrible about doing it. Does anyone know about the liquid calcium spray? Is there known problems with the stuff? It seemed like such a convenience to just be able to spray their food down with it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have only heard about others using it, but no problems. Do not force feed, just more stress on him. A sick tort is already stressed. Do the baby food soaks, and make an appointment with the vet. Keep him warm and you may want to seperate from the other one, so he doesn't get bullied or more stressed. I would keep him warm no lower than 80-85. would do these things until you can get him to a vet.

badger16

5 Year Member
Has the UVB bulb mentioned above, and a under substrate heat rope for 24 hour heat to keep everything above 80 degrees. A 150w basking light provides 110 degree basking spot with about 90-100 degrees surrounding it. Substrate is mostly Eco earth coconut coir and cypress much with a little spaghnum moss buried thoughout to retain moisture. Humidity throughout the enclosure is only around 30-40 but there is a large humid hide that is kept around 85 degrees and 90% humidity. When the sick on was healthy and I put it in the hide, it would always run out immediately. It would neve stay in there. The other 2 use it all the time and seem to love it. However now when I put the sick one in there, as I stated above it just collapses and doesn't even attempt to leave.

Gonna try the baby food soak tonight when I get home. Thanks. Whats the procedure on that? Mix carrot baby food in with the water? Any particular ratio?

Oh and sorry, Laura, they are not from the same breeder as far as I know. Bout them both from different stores about 30 miles away from eachother.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I wouldn't worry about the humidity with him now. Seperate him from the others. Baby food soaks with warm water, keep him warm at all times. Vet visit. If someone else with more advice doesn't come on soon I will send them a pm and ask them to check out your post. Just hang on and more advice will be coming. However sometimes, some just don't do good.

badger16

5 Year Member
Thank you very much. I really do appreciate it. The torts mean a lot to me and I've put in a lot of work to make sure they are happy and healthy. I want the best for them and hate to see the little guy doing so poorly.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Your set up sounds very good. I sent maggie3fan a pm to please check out your thread. If they are on line, the should respond soon. I know what you mean about how much they mean. I only have one and I think he is the best. Hang on. But don't forget, sometimes know matter what we do, some just don't make it. Good luck and some more help should be soon.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
When a tortoise's shell starts going soft it is a serious issue. It usually means it is not getting enough calcium and or sunshine, so it starts using the calcium already in it's body. In all honesty without a vet visit I don't see it improving, and even with a vet visit it will still be difficult to reverse this. For now I would do as suggested and do baby food soaks, maybe add calcium into it and possibly even bird vitamins. Is it still drinking water when you soak it?

badger16

5 Year Member
Not that I have been able to notice no. It basically panics a little when first introduced to the water and backs up against the wall since its eyes are swollen shut and therefore essentially blind, then it calms down and just gives up, and flops down. It's really quite pathetic to watch. :(

The calcium spray bottle I have suggests administering a few drops orally if there becomes a deficiency, but how am I supposed to do that? I can't get it's mouth open without hurting it/stressing it out.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
the easiest and quickest to help it will most likely be with a feeding tube. Add the spray to the water.

M

Maggie Cummings

I am so sorry that this is happening to you. It sounds like failure to thrive to me and if it were mine, I would get a small container and mix half a jar of baby food carrots with warm water in it and soak that baby for about an hour every day. Put a regular incandescent 100 watt bulb over the bowl so the water stays warm. I'd go back to powdered calcium because I don't know anything about the spray. I'd get a 100WMVB because I just don't think those tubes put out enough UVB, and I'd get that bulb in a hurry. I'd get it to an exotic Vet ASAP and I'd ask for liquid Calcionate. and DON"T let the Vet give a Vitamin A injection. I'd also use Terramycin eye ointment on it 3 times a day. I'd wrap him in a small towel and walk around outside with him. I live in the PacificNorthWest and we don't get much sun here, mostly rain and snow so I take my sick babies out for a walk so they can get whatever UVB is floating around out there. I know some of my stuff sounds kinda crazy, but I have brought many sick babies back from the brink by doing just what I'm telling you now. I'd put him on my lap while I was at my computer or watching TV or whatever, I'd talk to him and jiggle him. I just hold on to him to make him stay awake. I'd set him up in a small hospital tank alone with clean cypress mulch. Put that new UVB bulb over him and do the stuff I told you to do. But it doesn't look good for him. However you can't give up. You must do what I told you and hope for the best...Please keep us posted...

badger16

5 Year Member
Maggie, you are awesome. Thank you. I have already done all of these steps as of now since I got home from work, except the vet and the mvb unfortunately. My store doesn't carry the mvb's, so I'm bout to order one online and overnight it, if I can't find one at another store nearby. I called a vet and I'm working out the soonest time to get in. Fingers crossed. Thanks again.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
You gave such a VALIANT effort and tried all that you could. He is no longer suffering. You can give all the love and life to your other little guy. Keep your head up.

Status
Not open for further replies.