Please help. (Russian or desert ???)

jwalker

Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this.

Here is the story. I was given a tortoise, it's kind of a long story about all the circumstances, but I didn't really have time to prepare before she got here, it was kind of a surprise thing (not really in a good way). I love tortoises, and thought instead of taking her to the local sanctuary that specializes in exotic type animals (mostly reptiles, turtles and tortoises) that I would try and care for her. She is in pretty bad shape, she has a couple patches on her shell where it is white and looks like the top layer has flaked off a bit, and a gouge that looks like she was bitten by a dog. I don't know who the original caretakers were, but she was passed around from place to place for a while, so I don't really know much of her history.

Here is the problem I have, I was told before she got here that she was a Russian, and I figured I could accommodate a Russian and take care of her, however after seeing her, I think she might be a Desert Tortoise. Now, I live in Northern Nevada, and as long as a Desert Tortoise isn't captured in the wild, you can be given one, so I'm not worried about the legality of the situation. However, if she is a Desert, I do not have an adequate yard to house her, and I'm not allowed to make changes to the yard to build her an enclosure because I rent. So I am wondering if you fine people can help me identify her species, so I know if I need to take her to the sanctuary (who is authorized to take care of and adopt out desert tortoises). Or if I can take care of her myself, as I am pretty sure I could adequately house a Russian. So I am uploading a couple of pictures. Thank you for any help you can offer. It is appreciated. IMG_0404.JPG IMG_0405.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
...and her shell is ok. The layer of keratin that was chewed off by a dog has exposed the bone, and that part will die. But new keratin and bone grows underneath that white area and eventually - a couple years or more - it will raise up and flake off showing new keratin underneath.

jwalker

Oh, thank you so very much for the response. I'm glad that she is a Russian and I will be able to properly house her, I've already grown attached to her and she has only been here a little less than a day. Did you want me to take a picture of her face? I'm sorry about the dark photos, I can take a pic outside so it is brighter. I do have a vet appointment for her, but the soonest I could get in is in a week, so if there is something to be seriously concerned about, I would like to know. Again, thank you so very much for your help.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, it looks like the eyes are either squinty, small or closed. Can't really see them. Soak the tortoise in a small tub/bowl with tall sides that she can't climb out of and leave her in there for at least 15 minutes. She might just be dehydrated, but squinty/closed eyes is a serious sign of something wrong.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). I would give her a nice warm soak for 20-30 minutes for the next few days to a week. Be sure you don't get the coil type uvb bulbs, they cause eye problems. This could actually be what might be causing the eyes to look swollen, if the owner before you was using this type bulb.
Glad your going to keep her, sounds like she has been tossed around enough.

jwalker

I'll give her a soak like you have recommended. Thank you all so much again for the help. Here are a couple better pictures of her. It was hard to get her to look at the camera, but I was able to put her down on the carpet and get her to look at me. IMG_0407.JPG IMG_0409.JPG

jwalker

Oh, one more question, dandelions are ok for Russians to eat, right? Because she kind of went to town on them when we were outside earlier. Sorry for the newbie question, I've been doing research, but it has been less than a day.

M

Maggie Cummings

They are good for her...Ask away, that's what some of us are here for...She's pretty...and welcome

jwalker

Thanks :) I appreciate all the help and advice. She is pretty, isn't she? Her name is Daisy. And thanks for the offer of answering questions, I think I'm ok now, and am reading over several care sheets, to make sure I take care of her properly, but if I do have questions I will update this thread. Thanks again.

jwalker

Welp, looks like I need a new name. I just went over the sexing guide here on the forums, and "Daisy" is very much a male... So, I'm open to suggestions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The eyes look ok. I guess it was just the way the first picture was situated. I have a female cat named Spencer. I think Daisy for a male tortoise would be cute.

bigsteaks

5 Year Member
Deptford NJ
The shape is screaming girl? Take a pic of the tail and post. Might be a female.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Welcome to TFO! :D I'm glad she's got you to take care of her now! How's your setup right now?
Yes, in a few years her shell will be almst normal again :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here is the problem I have, I was told before she got here that she was a Russian, and I figured I could accommodate a Russian and take care of her, however after seeing her, I think she might be a Desert Tortoise. Now, I live in Northern Nevada, and as long as a Desert Tortoise isn't captured in the wild, you can be given one, so I'm not worried about the legality of the situation. However, if she is a Desert, I do not have an adequate yard to house her, and I'm not allowed to make changes to the yard to build her an enclosure because I rent.

This part worries me a bit. Care and space requirements for both species is pretty similar. What is it that you think a DT needs that a russian doesn't need? Or vice versa?

Here are a couple of threads that might help you:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/