Russian Shell Health

Status
Not open for further replies.

reflectedgray

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Portland, OR
So I just adopted a female russian tortoise and I love her. However, I dont think her owner was taking proper care of her. She said she gave me all the lights she had and they included a heat lamp and UV lamp, but i dont think either has UVB. So...that in combonation with her shell flaking is making me nervous.

I think she has mild shell rot. I'll post pictures as soon as I can, but there appears to be one white spot on the front of her shell near where her head is and a peice on the side is flaking off.

Is there something I can do? I dont think its very bad yet, and she has proper light now. Still, I' worried but would perfer not to take her to the vet unless I get a little more information about it. (vets are rare around here and expensive)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russians do tend to have quite a bit more "damage" to their shells than other tortoises. I think its because of the way they are captured (by the hundreds at a time and piled up on top of each other!). Also, male russians are VERY aggressive breeders and females end the breeding season with minor injuries. If its shell rot, it will smell and it will be soft if you press it. If its hard and white its an old healed injury.

Yvonne

reflectedgray

10 Year Member!
Portland, OR
emysemys said:
Russians do tend to have quite a bit more "damage" to their shells than other tortoises. I think its because of the way they are captured (by the hundreds at a time and piled up on top of each other!). Also, male russians are VERY aggressive breeders and females end the breeding season with minor injuries. If its shell rot, it will smell and it will be soft if you press it. If its hard and white its an old healed injury.

Yvonne

oh. okay well i feel better. Her shell is completely hard and it doesnt smell bad. I'll keep an eye on it for any changes. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.