Please help, question about Timothy hay?

BathTimeToaster

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Hello, I’m a first time tortoise owner and I just got a young Russian tortoise, his enclosure was quite boring so I tried to add some stuff for enrichment, I changed his substrate to part repti bark, part echo earth and part Timothy hay from the brand Kaytee. When I was putting the hay down I got quite a few slivers and I was curious if it might be too sharp for him? He hasn’t really walked on it much and I’m not sure he likes it? Sorry if this is a dumb question I just get very paranoid about my pets. Thanks :)

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
In my experience that hay is tough stalks and stems, and very stale. To me a waste of money, I go to a feed store and buy $10 worth of loose grass hay and that lasts my Sulcata most of the winter. He eats and sleeps in it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hay is not good for a substrate. So for that reason take it out.
I also don't feed Timothy hay as it seems more like sticks then hay it is so tuff.
Usually though when hay is fed to smaller torts its chopped small and even soaked to soften. Large torts don't need it soaked.
But no on it for substrate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello, I’m a first time tortoise owner and I just got a young Russian tortoise, his enclosure was quite boring so I tried to add some stuff for enrichment, I changed his substrate to part repti bark, part echo earth and part Timothy hay from the brand Kaytee. When I was putting the hay down I got quite a few slivers and I was curious if it might be too sharp for him? He hasn’t really walked on it much and I’m not sure he likes it? Sorry if this is a dumb question I just get very paranoid about my pets. Thanks :)
Russians are not grass eaters, so it won't be eaten. The other substrate needs to be damp, and this will make the hay mold. It needs to be removed.

Here is the current and correct care info: