Please help my daughter with a project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My ten year old daughter Camille was given an assignment by her 5th grade teacher. The assignment is to come up (with help from mom/dad) with an invention, and then research the usefulness and potential marketability of the invention by surveying "experts" and others who could potentially be buyers of this invention.
That's where you guys come in....
Below are pictures of our invention. It is a simple device to stimulate a tortoise to burrow, and to burrow in a specific, safe location.

tortthingie.jpg

As you see, it is simply a flower pot, with the side/bottom cut out at an angle. It is held in place with a strong wire, similar to a croquet wicket. 2 small sponges are attached to the roof, which can be dampened with water added through 2 holes on top, to produce a more humid environment, which would theoretically provide more stimulation for the animal to burrow.
This is simply a mock-up of what would be theoretically be a commercially produced product.
So, my questions to you are...

1. Do you think my invention is original? Why?
2. Do you think a commercially produced version of my product is marketable? Why or why not?
3. Do you have any suggestions to improve my invention?
4. What do you feel would be a fair price for a commercially produced version of my invention be?

Thanks in advance for your help. BTW, here's the kid you are helping out.....

camilletortoise.jpg

dreadyA

5 Year Member
southern cal.
Do you want us to over analyze? haha.
Looks like a cool invention. I woulld buy it if it had a leaf litter coat on top. That would be awesome.
I dont know how to answer question #1.
I would pay 13-18 bucks for it

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Yes, because I've never seen it in any store or on line store.
2. Do you think a commercially produced version of my product is marketable? Why or why not?
Yes. Probably because of the attached sponge, which I've never seen in a store.
You can make a small one, med. size one, and a large one....something like the half logs they sell.
4. What do you feel would be a fair price for a commercially produced version of my invention be?
Each size could be a different price....sm....$10....med...$15 and large $20.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento

i would say this is an original because in all of my ebay and Cl searching, this item has never been seen in any form.

I believe for the right price this is a excellent product for new owners, in fact, i would patent it..
I believe all the new owners have so many question about how to provide a humid environment this item would take the guess work out.

I would cover the front of the bucket with dirt OR dig a little deeper... otherwise its great!!

This is the hard one for me... but if i have a need for it, i would see 20 dollars being very inexpensive

My question is:

What about bacteria in the sponge?

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
OOHHH, a project! My favorite!

1) I think it is original because I have not seen this kind of hide available at any reptile supply store or website where I have shopped. :D

2) Yes, you could market this through a web site or at a kiosk set up at a reptile expo. :D

3) You might consider a terra cotta version, with a half pot that would be heavy enough to rest on the ground, so the owner doesn't have to dig it in (I have very rocky and rooty ground which took a long time to excavate when I buried a plastic pot in Taco's enclosure last summer). I think the sponge idea is brilliant and bacteria would not be a big problem in dry climates like Colorado--you could have velcro fastenings so the sponge could be removed and sterilized from time to time, though. :cool:

4) For a terra cotta half-pot, maybe $20 for a medium sized one, for plastic full pot, maybe $10 or $15--if you charge too much, people will just go to a gardening center and craft store and fashion their own, using your ideas. :rolleyes:

Good job and good luck!

J

jazzywoo

yes never seen anything like it before its a great idea

yes i do think it would sell well

makea pot version
different sizes
velcro the sponge so they can be either washed or even sell spares so they can be changed
more decorationon outside tomake it nice to look at too

£20 large
£15 medium
£8 small

good luck and i may be worth looking into taking this further if you get interest :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I can't add to what has already been said except to the improvement question. Try to figure out how to drape something down over the mouth of the hide. Strips of plastic or indoor/outdoor carpet cut in strips, etc. They like to feel that they're walking through something to get into the hide. Even strings of fake plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.